• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 New Civic Type R Concerns !Help Please!

Hi Everyone,

About 3 weeks ago I bought an 02 registration Civic Type R. I purchased it from a family member for less than £2k (Its been in our family since new). Its covered 65,000 miles and has a full service history. The Cars in relatively good condition. The alloys need refurbing, one is very very badly corroded and there is a tear in the fabric of the drivers Recaro. Its a 14 year old car so the bodywork shows signs of wear and tear but its nothing I can't live with. I have few concerns I wondered if members could help me with.

1. After starting cold and driving for the first two minutes or so there is a clear vibration coming from the engine. It goes as quick as it arrives and the cars performance seems unaffected.

2. The steering can really pull badly in one direction or the other especially when VTEC kicks in. Plus its got a bit hairy in the corners. Steering feels very light but sometimes weirdly heavy???

3. The gear changes can be clunky and its hard to change at high revs/speed in 2nd. It quite easily pops out of third with the lightest of touches.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

1) Could be all sorts, one of the heat shields, I-VTEC cover, engine mounts. Needs further investigation.
2) Most likely poor geometry, tyres or both.
3) It needs a new clutch OEM Honda one is fine.

100 % what the above poster has said... would do the clutch 1st then get a 4 wheel alignment done then sort out the heatshield rattle if that's what it is and you will have a spot on car hopefully

p.s - mine is getting awkward to get in gear sometimes when in vtec so clutch time for me too :)

Back