• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New clutch fitted at Honda

Been getting quotes up to £700 fitted for my ep3 clutch so thought i'd check the honda web site. It states a 'Honda Happiness' price of £565 incl vat and labour+12 mth guarantee. All models '02-'06 except 1.4, S2000 and NSX.
So I called Honda to book and the guy started trying to quote me some inflated price until I quoted the Honda web site telling him it should be £565.
He sounded surprised so I was like 'er yea, its clearly says £565, all models excl 1.4' . So he then said 'well sir, you've been doing your research'
Bloody cheeky, he knew all along yet if I hadn't quoted the web site I wonder what I would have paid.
Took them 4 days but i got a free Jazz to use. Feels great now. My 156k mile ep3 feels tighter than the new Jazz they gave me. Also when sitting in traffic the wipers make the Jazz wobble slightly, odd little car, good engine though.

£565 is still quite alot IMO.

Exedy replacement clutch kit is about £150 and MTF-3 gear oil from Honda £30 then get a local mechanic to fit for the price of a couple of hours labour.

iirc TGM charged me £330 with some sort of major service and some job lot on the car.

500 for clutch fitted is a rip off. :(

fair price for clutch

iirc TGM charged me £330 with some sort of major service and some job lot on the car.

500 for clutch fitted is a rip off. :(
"rip off" is a bit unfair, £3000.00 would be a rip off.But If you agree a price with a garage you trust,in advance,and know whats being fitted and by whom then I'd say thats a good price for a quality product correctly installed.Sure you will always find someone who could do it cheaper but lets be fair, we must compare oranges with oranges.

"rip off" is a bit unfair, £3000.00 would be a rip off.But If you agree a price with a garage you trust,in advance,and know whats being fitted and by whom then I'd say thats a good price for a quality product correctly installed.Sure you will always find someone who could do it cheaper but lets be fair, we must compare oranges with oranges.

Well that was my opinion. TGM is a reputable garage here, and I trust them more than Honda. £200 difference is a big amount of money for the same oranges.

Fair enough I suppose if the OP wants to keep FHSH on his car maybe..

I think I'll do the clutch on mine soon but I can't justify taking my ten year old EP3 to Honda lol!

I had my clutch fitted at TGM a couple of weeks ago. Including VAT, the total was £549. This included the lower front engine mounting being fitted, gear oils and 4 othings which I have no idea what they are but cost £52.50 each.

im confused as to how honda are different to everyone else, they quote a clutch fit in an ep3 is a 9hr job at my local dealer, but when i was in with the wifes car for MOT i asked my friend if he'd done one and how long would it take, he looked it up on some data base and it told him exactly what needs to be removed to do the job with time scales for each item, the total out and in was 4.5hrs, so how can honda say it takes 9hrs?
am just going to strip it myself and get my friend to swap the clutch, far cheaper, mite time myself and see how much bull honda are giving people

9hrs? I could do a clutch with the car on ramps with a socket set in under 9hrs.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've just done the clutch on my 2003 EP3. I would say 9 hours is about right. I took 2 days (about 18 hours) as I cleaned everything whilst it was off and as I didn't know what to take off and what to leave on I removed both engine mounts instead of leaving them bolted to the engine and removing the centre bolts. Didn't take long to get them off, but 2 hours to get them back on!

Just for the record, I served an apprenticeship starting in 1961, moved on up to management and then sideways into dealer computer systems but have always kept my hand in. I have a Caterham BDR which I completely rebuilt from bare chassis up following an accident.

As an ex dealer man myself I would recommend a dealer do the work. I know it's more expensive than the independents but they will have the experience and all the factory technical bulletins. The high labour charges are mainly due to the manufacturer requirements which generally push the admin costs up.

Don't forget you can always ask your Honda dealer to match genuine local quotes too and they may well be able to.
Mine cost less than the Honda Happiness price.

Back