• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

new discs and pads causing squeak?

Hi all dont suppose anyone can help, ive had new pads and discs fitted and they squeak at low speeds while coasting.
If anyone has experienced this please let me know what it could be, im hoping that its just a case of breaking in the new pads/discs.
would be much appreciated.

also its a type r FN2 the first honda i have driven its (suprisingly) a massive improvement over my past vehicle(ford transit), in both power and handling.

Addicted to Vtec

I'm assuming you mean whilst you're not applying the brakes?

Check your brake fluid level, if it was topped up whilst your discs and pads were low putting new ones on will cause the fluid level to max out which may stop the pistons from retracting fully.

If it's whilst you're braking then you need to take the pads out, clean the calipers and copper grease up all the surfaces that contact the caliper/pad (but don't get any on the disc/pad face)

cheers for the info i just took it for a short drive on my lunch break, the squeak seems to happen less at the moment i hope its just a case of the discs and pads bedding in.

if this continues ill definantly check the fluid level, however i do not fancy syphoning it as i do not have a syringe.

If you have too much fluid you can just bleed the excess out, use the passenger side rear brake nipple. You will need a friend to operate the pedal though ideally.

It might just be the pads bedding in as you say, usually on new pads they will rub ever so slightly on the highspots for the first 20-50 miles or so until they mate with the discs fully.

My FN2 used to squeak like mad when I had new pads & discs fitted, it was horrific at low speeds (5-10mph). After a few hundred miles and the occasional harsh breaking all is fine now.

cheers lads yeah it is definantly worse at slower speeds, been trying to break hard occasionally but the roads have been too busy.

Mine do this, it drives me crazy. Must of done about 1000 miles on them now and it still happens (worse than ever if anything) at low traffic speeds 0-7 mph. Above that no issues at all and massive improvement on old brakes. Took it to a local garage and they said they couldn't do anything about it.

Back