• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 New fiesta st mk7

Hi people

As a footnote I'm not trying to start any form of flaming/opening can of worms or all of the rest of the keyboard warrior willy waving rubbish.

I love the look of the new fiesta st's and I'm purely curious as to how they compare to a well looked after ep3, have had a little play with one a few times around here ( all in good faith no stupid antics ) and seem to find the ep3 has the legs on it if driven properly, I would have thought the st would have the legs on an ep3 tbh.

lovely little cars I like them and I apologize once again if it turns into a popcorn thread.. is not intended :)

From what I've seen the fiesta is 6.7 0-60, and the ep3 is 6.4..

Them specs can be argued though as they're different on most sites but as a friend of mine was on about getting one we looked into it! The ep3 was faster on paper every time..

Also, couple weeks ago I had one trying to push me out the way on the motorway so I moved into the middle lane waited for him to boot it and I did the same, bye bye fiesta ST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar experience here, I expected him to at least match the ep3 but it did not seem to be able to keep up, I'm aware with a remap etc it would more than likely wave me bye bye but as standard they are a bit naff aren't they !!

Similar experience here, I expected him to at least match the ep3 but it did not seem to be able to keep up, I'm aware with a remap etc it would more than likely wave me bye bye but as standard they are a bit naff aren't they !!

Haha yeah I was expecting it to be close, but was from about 60 odd and then only being a 1.6 I guess they're not great from there..

They're the equivalent to a Corsa VXR and off the line they're not great either..

The fiesta ST's seem to be really common too! Nice looking, but the Focus is the ep3s rival

I had the Focus ST, really good car and I enjoyed it a lot. It just spent far too much time at Ford being put right, and half the time they couldn't do that properly...

There are two people I know of on the forum who have the Fiesta ST though, Jack is one of them. I'm sure he'll be along soon enough!

I suspect gearing and power curve are largely to blame. The ST redlines at just over 6, but it feels there's little point flogging them past 5 as the turbo is running out of puff by then. It's all about midrange shove, where it has the EP3 dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, a thread for me.

I had my EP3 for nearly 7 years, was pretty much standard engine wise save an induction kit and exhaust. Handling wise spent ~£4k on it, including an LSD. That got binned off on the way to work thanks to someone changing lanes without looking in their mirrors. Couldn't find a similar spec'd Honda for sale (I only had about 3 days to find a new car or couldn't get to work) so went for an MY14 ST. Hadn't even considered buying it, but took one for test drive. Quickly changed my mind.

So some stats for you. Whilst it's "only a 1.6”; thanks to the wonder of a turbo, it has 180BHP standard, and more torque than the EP3. Due to some wizardry in the ECU, the turbo overboosts in 3rd or above to produce (wait for it EP3 fans) 197BHP. This was apparently decided to provide better traction when in 1st/2nd.

a3dRWyv_460sa_v1_zpsca7179da.gif

Whilst they may be 0.3 seconds slower 0-60, this will presumably change when you get into 3rd gear and have the extra bit of power behind you. Anyone know the stats for 0-100MPH? (I don’t)

Handling wise, it doesn't quite compare to my EP3 in its final form, but I do think it would out manoeuvre a standard one. This is probably thanks to the wizardry of the e-diff. What's extra fun though, is that you can switch the ESP half off for some tail happy fun times, or switch it off completely (unusual for a lot of modern cars) if you wish.

I'm not advocating that they're a spectacularly better car than the EP3, as I'm not a brand wh*re. Equally, when I had the EP3 I didn’t pretend they were better than all other cars, just because I had one.

They are however a car that's produced ~10 years after the EP3; so whilst they are at least very similar in terms of performance, they are a much nicer place to sit. And going back to the turbo factor, thanks to a warranty friendly < £600 remap you can wind the power up to 215BHP. Turbo is definitely the way to go for comparatively cheap power increases.

8eiMViN_zpscfd19c32.gif

TL;DR
It's actually pretty decent.

Ooh, a thread for me.

I had my EP3 for nearly 7 years, was pretty much standard engine wise save an induction kit and exhaust. Handling wise spent ~£4k on it, including an LSD. That got binned off on the way to work thanks to someone changing lanes without looking in their mirrors. Couldn't find a similar spec'd Honda for sale (I only had about 3 days to find a new car or couldn't get to work) so went for an MY14 ST. Hadn't even considered buying it, but took one for test drive. Quickly changed my mind.

So some stats for you. Whilst it's "only a 1.6”; thanks to the wonder of a turbo, it has 180BHP standard, and more torque than the EP3. Due to some wizardry in the ECU, the turbo overboosts in 3rd or above to produce (wait for it EP3 fans) 197BHP. This was apparently decided to provide better traction when in 1st/2nd.

a3dRWyv_460sa_v1_zpsca7179da.gif

Whilst they may be 0.3 seconds slower 0-60, this will presumably change when you get into 3rd gear and have the extra bit of power behind you. Anyone know the stats for 0-100MPH? (I don’t)

Handling wise, it doesn't quite compare to my EP3 in its final form, but I do think it would out manoeuvre a standard one. This is probably thanks to the wizardry of the e-diff. What's extra fun though, is that you can switch the ESP half off for some tail happy fun times, or switch it off completely (unusual for a lot of modern cars) if you wish.

I'm not advocating that they're a spectacularly better car than the EP3, as I'm not a brand wh*re. Equally, when I had the EP3 I didn’t pretend they were better than all other cars, just because I had one.

They are however a car that's produced ~10 years after the EP3; so whilst they are at least very similar in terms of performance, they are a much nicer place to sit. And going back to the turbo factor, thanks to a warranty friendly < £600 remap you can wind the power up to 215BHP. Turbo is definitely the way to go for comparatively cheap power increases.

8eiMViN_zpscfd19c32.gif

TL;DR
It's actually pretty decent.

A quick google

0-100

EP3 - 16.2
ST - 17

Can't argue that the ST has gotta be a more comfy place to sit, but for me being 23 I'm loving the race car feel of the Civic, like I said I've only had a play with one from 60mph to about 120 (private road of course) and he really didn't have a chance, although could be down to driver not car..

I think they are great little cars... look the dogs wotsits, I was just surprised more than anything else.. I do believe in gear low down punt would easily outgun an ep3 or fn2 for that matter if not for outright pace as standard.

I'd definitely have one next to my ep3 in the stable :)

P.s - As a quick note the lad In the st i have had a few encounters with and spoken to was giving it the beans all the way upto 70mph ;) and the civic pulled quite a gap.

Oh well who cares its all good fun ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are great little cars... look the dogs wotsits, I was just surprised more than anything else.. I do believe in gear low down punt would easily outgun an ep3 or fn2 for that matter if not for outright pace as standard.

I'd definitely have one next to my ep3 in the stable :)

Looking at the 0-60s I doubt that! Maybe an fn2 not sure on there 0-60 but same engine in a heavier car it's gonna be slower..

Looking at the 0-60s I doubt that! Maybe an fn2 not sure on there 0-60 but same engine in a heavier car it's gonna be slower..

Nah I meant in gear low down power... it should have the edge on the ctr but ctr in the right gear no way hoseee !

It does have far more low down power/torque when the turbo spools up, about 2,000RPM and you're away. Promotes very lazy driving.

I've only ever had the chance for a tickle with an EP3 once since I bought it, but I'd gone about 17 hours without food and was passing the Golden Arches. Only one winner there!

Back