• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

BTW I have one of these from Halfords :)

That will get right into the back of the alloy (barrel part of the wheel) & will access the majority of the front/rear calipers...you can then use smaller brushes to get into the more intricate parts :smt023

Regards,Mark.

not 100% accurate true from what i know of the k20c1. vtec also engages to increase scavaging and aid turbo spool at low RPM. yes oil presure operated, but it's not all about high RPM.
i remember reading it when i got my FK2. i'll see if i can find the info and post back. iirc it was some jap site with the info so probably impossible to find again....

Anyone seen the 5th Gear reviews, both online and on to put Megane ahead, nothing in it but have to say the Megane does look a bit more fun.

Anyone seen the 5th Gear reviews, both online and on to put Megane ahead, nothing in it but have to say the Megane does look a bit more fun.

I watched it, but TBH I find their contrived agility and track tests to be pretty much irrelevant. The Megane looks more nimble on a tight track, but every road test review criticises the cup suspension as being too harsh to live with for day to day road use, which is where the FK8 gets praise. I haven't seen a review of a non cup spec car as Renault don't seem keen for the press to test them.

I have to say though that I prefer the more traditional hatchback short rear overhang look of the Megane. However, it looks very cheap on the inside which the review ignored.

Yeah I watched it like a nervous father watching their son playing football...or in a race....or....you get the idea

The problem with 5th gear is that those track battles try to be entertaining as well as a proper test so they always have a few overtakes and bit of 'drama.' Id rather, like many other comparisons, have a timed lap where the driver can get on it. We beat the megane at the same track (I think) when Tiff did both laps on an on-line review on yoube, but it was close...

That said the megane is probably the better track car on a short sharp course like that due to that rear wheel steer so no problems with defeat.

What was more a little surprising was Plato who I like very much as a racing driver talked a lot about understeer, the need for a more aggressive diff when every other review on track has been more than positive. cant argue with his comments for more torque needed though! Maybe that press car has been ragged within an inch of its life too much

Plato was never going to like it. Probably down to the fact him and Matt Neal are arch enemies.

Also the cone test isn’t exactly going to suit the type R.

See I think the Fk8 is a bit too safe and a more aggressive diff would allow a bit more rotation, perhaps I'm in the minority though :p

I agree 5th Gear has pointless daft tests, the manual handbrake is a massive advantage in the slalom and in the online review the Civic was faster on the track and better on the road. They chose the RS because it looks better online.

I don't doubt that the Megane is a sharp handling car but I don't see anyone on here swapping their type R for one for reasons that are probably obvious to us all.
That Fifth Gear test was just for fun and 99% irrelevant to day to day driving and car ownership.

....however,I have to ask why the type R doesn't have the rws system that the Meg has.
Too many years ago I had a new '96 Prelude 2.2 vtec with rws and you could really feel it working,going from understeer to neutral on fast bends,plus the added advantage of a tight turning circle at slow speeds.

Bit like 3D TV this real wheel steer.....technically a great product and you could argue better user experience for some - it was out ages ago (prelude) and didn't catch on, is out now much improved (meg), but the public reject it as a fad and is buried again!

Can't see next A45, RS3 etc having it or could be completely wrong...

Also Honda is 32k already, surely this would bump it up too much. Renault have skimped on the engine...

Bit like 3D TV this real wheel steer.....technically a great product and you could argue better user experience for some - it was out ages ago (prelude) and didn't catch on, is out now much improved (meg), but the public reject it as a fad and is buried again!

Can't see next A45, RS3 etc having it or could be completely wrong...

Also Honda is 32k already, surely this would bump it up too much. Renault have skimped on the engine...
I think there are two factors...
--Cost would exceed value added in the customers perception,as you say.

--There is a trend towards 4wd and as cars get more and more powerful and, in theory at least,the transfer of drive to the rear wheels when the fronts are losing grip should give a similar effect.

Anyway,I think the old Honda rws system could seize up and fail with age :eek:

Hi,

I bought my FK8 in September and absolutely love it.

One thing I find odd which I wonder if any of you clever lot might know the answer to.

When driving it to the limit (so to speak), optimal gear change is just before it hits the redline. The issue is, on the odd occasion I don't time it absolutely spot on and it actually hits the first part of the redline (7,000RPM?) It stumps the engine and zaps the power down. In most cars this sort of thing usually happens when you hit the very end of the redline and it cant go any further.

I'm fully aware that it's not great to be thrashing the engine to the very top of the redline (9,000RPM?) but sure it should be able to get to the end of the redline and not crash out as soon as it touches it at 7,000RPM. It's almost like the ECU kicks in and says nope, you shall not go into the red at all sir!

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well.

Hi Welcome to the forum...! Give us the specs, brand new, colour, blood type

Wow, glad to see you're giving it a work out...! I have hit the rev limiter a couple of times, but can't for the life of me remember where in the rev range it was to be honest but I seem to recall it was earlier than I thought. It sounds like that's what you're doing though so maybe 1) get better at gear changes:D 2) Use the rev lights instead of your rev counter maybe 3) give the poor girl a break....!

Glad you're loving it though

Hi Welcome to the forum...! Give us the specs, brand new, colour, blood type

Wow, glad to see you're giving it a work out...! I have hit the rev limiter a couple of times, but can't for the life of me remember where in the rev range it was to be honest but I seem to recall it was earlier than I thought. It sounds like that's what you're doing though so maybe 1) get better at gear changes:D 2) Use the rev lights instead of your rev counter maybe 3) give the poor girl a break....!

Glad you're loving it though

Right yes sorry - Intro!

2018 plate ex demo
Black
GT spec (understand non-GT basically isn't really even a thing over here)
Not modded and doubt it ever will be. My last car was a modified 208GTI. The engine failed after 4 years of ownership from new. Out of Warranty and couldn't pursue anything with them due to it being modded. Don't get me wrong, I don't think my mods killed the car (Standard 200BHP, modded to 240BHP) but I don't want to risk not being covered under warranty and losing loads of money again...The car was superb to drive but unfortunately was very poor build quality (french rubbish). Also, after wheelspinning through 3rd last night I think the Type R has more than enough power as it is... lol

Anyway, back on topic.

To be clear my gear changes are pretty bang on 99.9% of the time and yea the traffic lights on the speedometer are super helpful. I've only hit the limiter twice when I first bought the car but just thought it was extremely odd that the limiter was restricted to the start of the redline and not the end of the redline. Never known a car to do that. Whats the point of even showing 8,000RPM?? I was also surprised that it didn't 'bounce' on the limit a little first before completely knocking the power down. Just goes 6,900RPM then slugs the power way down.

Edit - Strangely when I've seen some youtube reviews of the car and when they are maxing it out and in early gears where it's harder to get a perfect change it sounds like they've rev'd all the way to the end (rightly or wrongly) and you hear it bounce off the limiter (at least it seems to). My car does not let me do this at all. No bounce, just dies at 6,900/7,000 and ruins the cars momentum. Very odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, I think if I had to choose again id prob get black. Ive had 4 black cars and I don't miss the OCD on the swirl marks etc, but when clean look epic and slightly more stealth. What mileage was it when you bought it? Did you get a good price if you don't mind me asking?

I am sure others will be along shortly to give their view on when the limiter comes in

Right yes sorry - Intro!

2018 plate ex demo
Black
GT spec (understand non-GT basically isn't really even a thing over here)
Not modded and doubt it ever will be. My last car was a modified 208GTI. The engine failed after 4 years of ownership from new. Out of Warranty and couldn't pursue anything with them due to it being modded. Don't get me wrong, I don't think my mods killed the car (Standard 200BHP, modded to 240BHP) but I don't want to risk not being covered under warranty and losing loads of money again...The car was superb to drive but unfortunately was very poor build quality (french rubbish). Also, after wheelspinning through 3rd last night I think the Type R has more than enough power as it is... lol

Anyway, back on topic.

To be clear my gear changes are pretty bang on 99.9% of the time and yea the traffic lights on the speedometer are super helpful. I've only hit the limiter twice when I first bought the car but just thought it was extremely odd that the limiter was restricted to the start of the redline and not the end of the redline. Never known a car to do that. Whats the point of even showing 8,000RPM?? I was also surprised that it didn't 'bounce' on the limit a little first before completely knocking the power down. Just goes 6,900RPM then slugs the power way down.

Edit - Strangely when I've seen some youtube reviews of the car and when they are maxing it out and in early gears where it's harder to get a perfect change it sounds like they've rev'd all the way to the end (rightly or wrongly) and you hear it bounce off the limiter (at least it seems to). My car does not let me do this at all. No bounce, just dies at 6,900/7,000 and ruins the cars momentum. Very odd.

Hi - The redline limit is 7k. My car is exactly the same as yours when you exceed that point and from what I've read elsewhere it cuts the fuelling which explains the behaviour. I miss the top end on the NA cars, but then again they had puny torque compared to the turbo engines.

I’m ready for some tyres I’ve replaced once with conti sport contact 6 as fitted from new just wondering if any one has tried anything different and what they thought. Thanks

I’m ready for some tyres I’ve replaced once with conti sport contact 6 as fitted from new just wondering if any one has tried anything different and what they thought. Thanks

I recently replaced with PS4S (around 2000 miles, since I just did a 980 mile trip to Scotland) and I feel them a bit better in the wet that then Contis, but that could be because my Contis were almost bald. haven't had a chance to use them in the dry, because... UK weather... So I'll test dry grip in... May? :lol:

BTW, The A68 between Corbridge and Edinburgh was a lot of fun :D :D

Back