• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New Issues with Tesco Fuel

Loxy

Site Treasurer
Administrator
Seen this posted on another forum, originally posted on S2KUK:

Quick heads up. As posted on our S2KUK forum today.....there's been reports of dodgy fuel at Tesco pumps:

Confirmed problematic areas:

South Wales
Manchester
Midlands
Northumbria

...all in the last couple of days causing cars to suffer with O2/Cat problems, all using Tesco fuel.

You should be careful and perhaps consider a different fuelling station.

If anyone suspects they have issues, call 0800 50 55 55. They are pretty good there and will log everything you say. You'll also need to go to the store you bought the problematic fuel from and fill out a contamination form if you wish to seek any recompense for what has happened.

Looks like they're at it again.

Just done a quick google, threads popping up on Scoobynet, Fiatforum.com.

Same thing with the Silica causing sensors to clog up.

Scoobynet thread mentioned Plymouth.

Cheers for the heads up, I normally use Tesco or Shell fuel depending on vouchers I have etc. Will stick to Shell for a while. :)

Pretty soon after filling up. The Silica normally wrecks the sensors within a few miles.

Last time there were reports of cars at the side of the road anything from a few hundred metres to a couple of miles from Tescos. You could follow the lines sort of thing.

Won't be nationwide probably regional & issue is likely to be with their additives or the bio content.

Silica or silicon? Silica is just sand.....

Last time it was identified as a high silicon content.

http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/tesco-apologises-for-contaminated-fuel.html

Indeed you are correct Neil, Silicon Dioxide or commonly known as Silica is most often naturally as sand or quartz. Thank you wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica

I'm assuming by being in the fuel the silicon hasn't managed to bond to oxygen.

In the context of industrial use I would imagine the difference is quite important. In the context of there is some bad stuff in the fuel, I think it matters not unless you are getting down the route of legal action, in which case I hope you would be quoting actual experts rather than someone trying to pass on helpful information on a car forum. ;)

wish I had known about this earlier, would have given me something to talk to the hot momentum bird about, how long ago was the dodgy fuel, I fill up with momentum when i need fuel near tesco and not shell. Should i be worried :S

It's only come on the forums today and nothing has been confirmed or denied by Tesco.

I filled my little pug up this afternoon at tesco.
Did 160 miles today so reckon I'm safe.
Well, that and the fact my car is so basic. I doubt it even has any sensors etc :)

It's only come on the forums today and nothing has been confirmed or denied by Tesco.

I just spoke to my cousin who works for the police down by Brum and it's the first he has heard of it. He said that he would filter it though and see if there are any issues anywhere else

Back