• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New owner - have I been scammed ?

Hi guys my first post here so hello all, well I've had my facelift 2004 Nighthawk Black, 1 owner, Type R, for a week and a bit now. I believe the previous owner is a member on here

However it transpires that the car as described in his advertisement, did not reveal the whole truth !!

99k miles... no way !!, it's condition externally, internally, mechanically and it's 'tight' feel on the road, indicated to me that it's done no more than about 60k, I don't know how he faked the full Honda service history, the MOT's and a pile receipts to make look like it had done the mileage, did he think that just because I am 'a gentleman of a certain age' that he could get away with his deception :)

The real story.. started with a tour of the parked car inside and out, fired it up, whisper quiet, despite the Spoon rear box, revved it rock solid on it mounts.. Test drive, no more than 5mins in and the decision was made she will be mine (evil chuckle), suitably warm vtec time :), thinking on the way back I can't find a single fault or flaw to use to haggle over (a first for me)... On return I thought it would be rude not to, so pitched in with an offer, counter offer.. SOLD, whole transaction probably took less than 10sec

To add to that I got the original rear box, radio and speakers, replaced by a good Alpine unit, and finally his son, 4 on the day, did me a drawing, looks to be in the postmodernist style I'll hang on to that as it may well be valuable one day ;)

So I got myself great car, meticulously cared for and a real credit to the previous owner, cheers mate... RonS :D

PS. Since found a tyre down by 0.5psi !, if only I'd known could probably haggled another 50p on even an extra £1 off :)

PPS. To quote J M Barrie 'I'm not young enough to know everything', so will likely be back with question or three

Attachments

• OSF-1800.jpg
    OSF-1800.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 53
Hey Ron, nice write up although i panicked for a second when i read the thread title. As you know from our meeting it was such a tough decision to sell up so I'm really glad your liking the car and appreciate the love it was shown whilst in my care.

I still miss it and go to bed with a tear in my eye!, but it's a huge relief to know its gone to a good home.......I knew from talking to you it'd be in safe hands.

As said at the time, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Kev

Hi Kevin

> although i panicked for a second when i read the thread title - grabs attention eh ! :evil:

> I'm really glad your liking the car and appreciate the love it was shown whilst in my care - and well deserved praise I think

> go to bed with a tear in my eye! - that's probably just a mild ruptured trying to keep up with a 4 year old :D

> I knew from talking to you it'd be in safe hands - well I've already had a 'moment' in it, I ran out of talent in a favourite corner :eek: (no 4WD on it oops), no damage done well apart from pride

> I hope you enjoy it as much as I did - I surely will

Don't suppose the VW has got the same punch eh, but hey I'm hanging to my mighty Mondeo 50+ mpg, get my bike in the back with room to spare and the CTR to look forward at the weekends excellent :D

RonS

Nice to read this RonS and monkeyboykev.

Worthwhile buying an enthusiast/ forum car, not because it may have been thrashed by a boy racer, but rather cared for like Kevs (or rather, RonS') NHB. :)

Hi Kevin

> although i panicked for a second when i read the thread title - grabs attention eh ! :evil:

> I'm really glad your liking the car and appreciate the love it was shown whilst in my care - and well deserved praise I think

> go to bed with a tear in my eye! - that's probably just a mild ruptured trying to keep up with a 4 year old :D

> I knew from talking to you it'd be in safe hands - well I've already had a 'moment' in it, I ran out of talent in a favourite corner :eek: (no 4WD on it oops), no damage done well apart from pride

> I hope you enjoy it as much as I did - I surely will

Don't suppose the VW has got the same punch eh, but hey I'm hanging to my mighty Mondeo 50+ mpg, get my bike in the back with room to spare and the CTR to look forward at the weekends excellent :D

RonS

Sadly not, although it has some 'go' in it - more than i ever imagined it would have. It's just poles apart from the Civic, it's a 'lazy' drive, got all the toys and i'm getting on average 57mpg, so i'm seeing my fuel bill reducing already!!.

Hi Kevin

> i'm getting on average 57mpg- see your getting into it already, better mpg than me eh !... bit*h :), I'll bet you'll pass the 60 mark soon, I have already ;)

Tell you what, the car is already looking a wee bit grubby and I don't do washing, I don't have one bucket let alone two, or a sponge, leathers or the like, so if you promise to eat up all your vegetables and behave yourself, I will consider allowing you to restore her to her former glory. However this would entail you having the car for the day, and you would need to establish a drag coefficient in it's current state and show an improvement of at least CD 0.025 to retain the job. Obviously the job would have to be carried out here, as we would not want to alert your wife to the fact you trying to rekindle and old love affair

Sorry mate I can't resist a bit of cheeky banter, I will stop if you wish ?

BTW, my avatar is your/my/our/the actual badge on the car.. no I will stop now, honest :whistle

RonS

Back