• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 New owner with teething issues

Hello all, new here so please bear with a Honda noob.

On my second EP3 now and still know very little but my current one has a few .. teething issues.

Chief among which is an oil leak from what appears to be behind the pulley on the very bottom by the sump/the sump seal in this area. It only really leaks when the engine is running and the oil is nearer the top marker on the dip stick.

Most likely knowing my luck with this particular civic its the oil pump but has anyone swapped an oil pump on themselves or is it a garage job?

I'm half competent but no pro with this kinda stuff at all.

Thanks for any responses half dreading sorting this out

That sounds like a pig to sort! I've got an image of it but its not letting me upload, not that it shows much just a dribble of oil coming down from what looks like the back of the bottom pulley running across the sump.

I'll do some digging into the crank shaft oil seal!

Thanks

Could you upload to a third-party service (flickr, imgur, etc.) and then link here?

https://imgur.com/nNnNp4O

Try that one, that was taken after all the oil was cleaned of the arm and sump etc and the car just started it was running for about 2 seconds before that started to run down from behind the pulley.

Since the car was parked over night its not spotted so must only be happening when the cars running

If the oil is definitely coming from behind that pulled then, part #5 (honda part number 91212-PNC-004 or 91212-PNC-003 depending which of the two sub-manufacturers you go for)
E__1110.jpg

The fun part is getting everything apart to get to it. Sounds like it's quite a bad leak for it to be so quick too. Keep the level at the upper of the two marks on the stick and carry oil with you until you can get it fixed :(

Best to pay someone to properly diagnose it though.

Thanks Mike, does that pulley have a seal around it then that could be the cause of the leak? potentially that is

Its going in to a garage for this besides the aux belt is pretty well worn so might as well change that at the same time, not ideal its just had a full exhaust inc manifold and now the abs light has come on!

It will be taken out tomorrow and punished for its insubordination!

Could bloody kiss you! ha ha thanks Mike, will get it looked at professionally soon and let you know

Regards

Thanks Mike h, it was the pulley seal that's now been replaced along with the aux belt and now no more leak!

Awesome, glad it's resolved. Hopefully you didn't have to sell a kidney for the labour costs.

124 Quid including parts, place called Vtec Direct in Winsford cheshire great guys defiantly going back to them!

Back