• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 new R vrs old R

Nice we vid. Hope it is not a repost.

[video=youtube;Ngrln6xhWm4]old link autoupdated[/video]

Baring in mind the EK is running a B20. The FD is doing well. I think reading the info the EG i running a B16.

EK9 is certainly not quicker to 60 than the FD2, and that sub 6 second time has never, ever been repeated.

The FD2 would monster the EK9 round a track for overall pace.

well thats why i asked. i did think that 5.7 was quick.

Couple of lap time comparisons:

EK9:

Tsukuba 1:09.48
Suzuka 2:49.169

FD2:

Tsukuba 1:07.93
Suzuka 2:35.20

DC5:

Tsukuba 1:09.34

EP3:

Tsukuba 1:09.872

98 JDM DC2:

Tsukuba 1:09.16

S2000 Type-S:

Tsukuba 1:07.725

NSX-R ( just for comparison)

Tsukuba 1:04.95

You can see all bar the FD2 and S2k are pretty even round Tsukuba which is a very short track, but the FD2 and S2kS monsters out 1.5-2 secs on most.

no one ever see top gear when they took the old and new around the track.
that bloke in the vid must be on crack or honda are paying him to talk utter crap lol.
it was proved that the old type r has better suspension etc than new as honda went over priced so they put some torsion bar in..

Was going to do a big reply to this thread but Hasnic has more or less done what I was searching for....

An ek9 aint alot quicker than a ek4 0-60..it when it gets on track it comes alive !!

Repost or not this shows serious results for the FD2 fans :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXwapwrHgIU

:twisted::twisted:

I know this is a very old topic, but i am seeing more and more videos on the net of the FN2 edging the EP3. I realise that its mainly driver, but could it also be down to the drive by wire? I understand the EP3 feels faster (which is more important) and is also faster round a track, but just thought it was interesting the amount of videos are popping up.

I had an FN2, chopped it in for an EP3 a couple of weeks ago.. The EP's much more the 'Type-R' of the siblings IMO. The unit's beneath the hood might be similar - but a Type-R is more about the whole package for me.

Both cars could be similar in what speeds they can achieve and how quickly they might be able to achieve them. But the way they go about their business is so contrasting: The EP3 is rawer, whilst the FN2 is about comfort, convenience about refrigerated glovebox's and plush boot space.

I recognise they're hatchbacks at the end of the day - but I've always felt like the FN2 was built to be a hatchback that offered the Type-R revviness, wheras the EP3 was built to be a Type-R that can play the role of a hatch if needed.

That's an easy way that I often use to sum up how I feel about both cars - and explaining the reasons for me changing backwards.

An EK9 would have seen me lose too much ££££'s - knowing this I didn't really look for one. The sort of DC5 I wanted when I was going about the change was not going to be viable ££££'s wise - when insurance was factored in. So the EP3 was that medium, that kept ££££'s losses as low as possible, insurance reasonable, and me content with my Type-R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well put. If insurance was not a problem i would have bought a DC5. I do think to myself sometimes that i should have got an Ep3 as it is more fun(although i have never driven it) and the extra cash saved, but i am a bit of a poser lol. Would be nice to drive another R at some point!

Very well put. I would have loved to of got a dc5 if insurance was not a problem. I do think to my self sometimes that i should of got an EP3 and saved some more cash, but i do love the styling of the fn2 from the inside and the front especially. The back is a grower i suppose lol. i am happy with the car although it could of been perfect if for 240 bhp and LSD. :)

TBH, I've always loved the EP3.. so I was probably biased about the way I acted when I went to change the FN2.

No diplomacy at all - the FN2 IS a nice car, it is quick, and can get quick, very quickly - but when you have an idea in mind of what you want/expect (within reasonable means, because we'd all love a Lambo etc. etc.) even if it's ludicrous/beyond comprehension it's always going to be difficult to accept something else as an alternative.

True again. I always wanted the Fn2 when i saw the concept and my mates own Ef's etc so i am a Honda fan. I avoided allot of hot hatches as i didn't like the way they shared allot of parts for example (VW engine and ST engine etc). The only other one i tested to the cooper s works GP which was a laugh but i already owned a MINI. I am happy with the car, but i feel they could of made it near perfect if they mixed the styling of the fn2 (imo) with the raw Type R history. Or you could just say the Mugen for an affordable price.

True again. I always wanted the Fn2 when i saw the concept and my mates own Ef's etc so i am a Honda fan. I avoided allot of hot hatches as i didn't like the way they shared allot of parts for example (VW engine and ST engine etc). The only other one i tested to the cooper s works GP which was a laugh but i already owned a MINI. I am happy with the car, but i feel they could of made it near perfect if they mixed the styling of the fn2 (imo) with the raw Type R history. Or you could just say the Mugen for an affordable price.

That's all that should matter chap - if you are happy, old, new, cooper, or ST - it's what pleases you that counts ;).

Back