• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New the Civic Type R

All,

I have just purchased my first Type R, 3 days ago & used a whole tank of fuel already) my god that power delivery is addictive!

My question is: - on a smooth tarmac road the steering is faultless however on an uneven surface it wants to wander (more than my old Golf GTI did), not really badly but it's just annoying.

Is this normal? Or could my tracking need a check?

Before I bought it, I did all of the normal checks so I know the car is straight.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

TBB

Welcome to the forum mate.

I take it you have the EP3 CTR? I think it could just be the camber of the road? The CTR has a fairly 'hard' ride - Nothing to worry about I would imagine ;)

Is it standard? (No springs/Fast road set up)

Dotty,

Yeah, she's (how sad is that!) a completely standard '04 which is why I bought it, It may just be case of getting used to the firm ride and heavy steering, as I said, I'm coming from a sensible car to something that puts a stupid grin on face by the time I get to then end of my road.

Cheers,

TBB

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds perfectly normal, you have to steer it in a straight line unlike most cars which will drive themselves straight, you won't even notice it after a while. :wink:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it mate -What car did you come from?

Any pics of your CTR? :D

Nowt to worry about. Mine wanders around a bit on wobbly roads, it also has a rather curious habit of wandering all over the countryside if you take your eye off the ball.:D

You don't need to be Schuey, but you do need to proper concentrate.

And for that we should all be thankful, for isn't that the point of a Type R? My ATR is remarkably stable, but it hardly drives itself. One of my mates went in it recently, and i gave it some beans, and he asked what it was like with the traction control off! I told him the only traction control was in my right foot. Love it.

Marge

I have had my ctr nearly three years and like you say on a smooth flat road the ride is faultless. But any thing other than that you really do need to keep your eye on the ball so to speak as mine still catches me if im not careful. All in all though it's not really a problem just makes the car more of a driver's car imho

If it continues to worry you I would be monitoring tyre pressures and then have a full 4 wheel geometry and alignment check.

But as people have said, it's supposed to be a bit sporty and that means that on the rough stuff it's not going to be a supple as a rep mobile.

MY EP3 likes to follow the grooves on the countryside roads as stated above. Welcome to the forum.

If your Car has a LSD gearbox- which the UK Civic Rs lack ;) - can make things interesting in uneven bumpy roads when accelerating. My Ex Teg was a handful , the Accord R is generally fine when accelerating on bumpy enveven roads. The teg would be snatchy and you had to be alert.

pull here pull there...

yep They all do it. Why not Take it to ABP or TDI for a Fast Road set up!? ;) :smt047

As others have said, the CTR's do have a habit of following the camber of the road.

Both mine and my other half's CTR are 04 registered, and both exhibited a pull to left hand side whilst driving along.

It's nothing to worry about, but if you're not used to it it feels odd (funnily enough, I've down graded to a golf in the last couple of months and it handles very differently to the Civic!!.)

Check your Tyre pressure regularly and try to avoid big pot holes that can knock the alignment out and you'll be fine :)

PS- Welcome :D

I would agree with you lot mine does exactly the same worried me at first but u soon get used to it. makes u a better driver if anything!

Mine pulls to the right when I come up to certain junctions, but on other roads I can plonk it in the middle and it follows the lines. The CTR is a bit raw, but that's what makes it a propper drivers car. Otherwise you'd have tat like traction control on board spoiling all your fun!

wicked...my mate had the brand new civic, i notice alot of understeer with that new civic ( dont know about the type r version).

Mine pulls to the right when I come up to certain junctions, but on other roads I can plonk it in the middle and it follows the lines. The CTR is a bit raw, but that's what makes it a propper drivers car. Otherwise you'd have tat like traction control on board spoiling all your fun!

But you can turn it off :p

Back