• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New to exhausts ;(

Right so basically i'm a bit confused when it comes to exhausts. Don't go calling me retard etc i just generally don't know at all.

I see lots of people talking about getting a new exhaust, people talking about the standard "backbox" and changing different stuff. Also whats a d-cat? cat-back? etc etc

Sorry to be a nuissance but i really just don't understand exhaust systems, if anyone doesn't mind giving me the 101

D-cat - pipe to replace the catalystic converter (useless really)
Cat back. Normally comes in two section: b pipe and back box.

B pipe- the main pipe of the exhaust, the standard is VERY restrictive so is normally replace with an unsilenced 2.5" bore pipe.

Backbox - the rear piece with the twin pipes you see under the rear diffuser, have been said to be ok up to 300 bhp.

If you want to get rid of the cat the most useful way to do so is by using a full race header. Again standard these are very restrictive.

Hope this helps :)

Awesome dude, thanks for that, it actually put alot of things in place in my head haha.

Right so if i wanted to start off on my exhaust modding it could be good to change the B-Pipe? How much would a decent one cost?

Also i really like the standard backbox so i would be inclined to keep that the same.

Or would a full race header include the b-pipe and the cat back? (leaving the standard backbox on)

Last edited by a moderator:
Supersprints are reasonable - around the £200-£250 mark. IIRC.

R8BYB, a member on CTRO (the other forum) also builds 2.5" bore'd b-pipes. Similarly priced.

SPOON Sports (Honda tuning house) B-Pipe, which someone will be certain to point out, is a DC5 part - that is EP3 compatible - it comes in nearer £600 all things considered.

A wider bore'd b-pipe mated to your standard back-box will make a difference; a noticable one? moot - most probably by sound alone really.

A cat-back is everything from the cat-back literally (so you'll get a b-pipe and a back-box in a cat-back - no need for your standard back-box with a cat-back).

Headers are where it's at - but based on what you've posted in your OP, it's not something I think you'll be after just yet.

Right, im with you. So what is a header? I've seen them mentioned... race headers - and how much are they priced at.

Also just say i was to buy a supersprint b-pipe, how much would the average garage charge to fit it?

So just say i upgrade my b-pipe, get an RBC inlet manifold and a k100, what sort of gains are we expecting? Or would i need to get a "race header" before thinking about getting a k100 with a remap.

Sorry to be a pest im just very keen to understand

Race header is a manifold. It is the first part of the exhaust in an aftermarket set-up - it collects exhaust gasses from the chambers before feeding them through the b-pipe and out of the back-box.

Headers contribute the most power out of an exhaust set-up and can be responsible for unlocking torque. Some headers have sports-cats built in to keep them MOT friendly, however they're more or less a risk - sport cats are meant to make power but keep the car legal - it's not unusual for a sports cat to fail - I know of someone who had, what is now a £2,200, Mugen manifold with in built sports cat that failed an MOT.

Headers without sports cats make the most power. You'll hear Toda header banded about - that is the one.

A b-pipe is an hours work £50 at max, anything more and they saw you coming - anything less and they're garage worth their salt, then you got a good deal.

All engines differ - a b-pipe, rbc and K100 won't give you very much 10-12bhp maybe.. who knows. I wouldn't go about tuning/bolt on mods in this order - I would go: basic order I'm working on.

- Intake
- Cat-back
- RBC
- Header and Hondata remap.

Then everything else...

And the 4-2 and 2-1 bit means it's 4 pipes (one from each cylinder) leaving the engine, merging into 2 pipes, these 2 pipes merge into 1, with a collector on the end (read flange/connector bit).

Intake being a gruppe m etc?

cat back being ?

RBC being the manifold?

Header being the b-pipe and backbox?

hondata remap being the k100 or whatever ecu chip?

thanks for the input

Intake being a gruppe m etc?

cat back being ?

RBC being the manifold?

Header being the b-pipe and backbox?

hondata remap being the k100 or whatever ecu chip?

thanks for the input

Cat-back is the b-pipe and back box together : Everything from the catalytic converter back.
RBC is an intake manifold - sits on the front of the engine, big silver metal thing that an intake like a GruppeM feeds into.
Header/Exhaust manifold is the bit between the engine and the cat with the 4-2-1 pipes that's been previously expanded upon.

Hondata make the K100/Kpro that can be mapped and is the standard way of remapping the EP3.

Cat-back:

TODA-EP3-Cat-Back-Exhaust-System-with-titanium-tail-pipe.jpg

Header/Exhaust manifold:

nengun-1255-01-toda-exhaust_manifold.jpg

The mesh section is where the catalytic converter would normally be situated in the exhaust system.

RBC intake manifold:

RBC.JPG

The big silver thing at the bottom of the picture.

Right... well thats exhausts 101 i guess :) cheers for your help! Feels nice to know what i can aim for when buying now :D

appreciate it alot!

Back