• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 New to forum, Looking for an FN2

Hi all,

I have spent about a month browsing the forums and reading all sorts of info about the fn2, Common faults to look for when buying, Costs of servicing/maintenance, cost of running the car & insurance etc.. I have been to a couple of Honda garages and had a seat in a CTR but not test drove one. All going well when i test drive the CTR i think my mind is already made up and would like to own one. The problem i'm facing now is i have told the garage i have a budget for 8/9k so there going to phone me when they get one in stock so i can test drive... But for that price range its not going to have the LSD. I am now wondering if i should spent the extra money and go for the 10 plate (with LSD) Also the 09+ plate? Have upgraded Lights ? So i am lost to what year togo for, I know it depends on budget but if its worth spending the extra dosh... And can anyone recommend good finance/Loan companies, Tesco bank APR is about 5-6% seems to be a good rate compared to other banks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my FN2 for about two weeks now and I love it. Despite all the criticism the FN2 gets in comparison to the EP3 (which was my last Type R) I think the steering on the FN2 is still sharper than that of the EP3. There is little difference on a British B road bar the fact that the FN2 does have a pretty hard, but albeit bearable ride. My FN2 is 08 and I was slightly disappointed on the first drive out without the dealer ;) in the passenger seat as the car did feel a little dead, but as soon as I turned VSA off it did transform it however and allow you to throw the car into tight corners and power out more aggressively which I was unable to do when VSA was on. In short, I'm not at all disappointed with the handling characteristics of the non-LSD model, and should you want a more racey setup you could always get a fast road setup which would save a good few ££££ in the long run anyway. And the headlights... I get flashed with them on dip as people think they're on full as it is so I definitely wouldn't let that be a decider for you! Good luck!

I can't make a fair judgement because i've not driven the LSD version, and while i imagine there is a fair difference, you won't be disappointed without it. Just bought mine on Saturday and i'm in love :)

Thats interesting cheers, Just want to make sure i look into every option before i rush into anything. I don't think the LSD will make much of a difference to how i drive 90% of the time (Difficult to judge without driving the car obv) But if this is the case..i could stick to my 8/9k budget and if i wanted spend some money on the car at a later date i could. I really need to get myself booked in for a test drive the longer i put it off the more im thinking! If you dont mind me asking did you buy yours from a Honda dealer or private?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

The car looks mint Jude no wonder your chuffed with it! Same.colour scheme im lookin for.

I bought mine from a friend. I spent a good 4 weeks thinking about it, a bit too hard probably. In the end, the gut feeling was just to get on with it, and it was the right move.

What car are you coming from?

Good choice, always a bonus when you know who owned the car before you. I have an 02 plate astra sxi 1.6 16v the now with my bike rack for the MTB on it :-D Great car but want a new toy and she wont last forever. The type R suits me need the big boot for my tools and the MTB! Mostly at the weekend i use my car.

I'm a mountain biker too and the boot is a great size!! Perfect dimensions just to take the front wheel out, even with a 29er ;)

Thats good, The bike doesn't rattle about to much? Used to drive me mad in my astra before i got the bike rack!

Doesn't seem to rattle too much at all, as the boot is so big the bike never seems to be touching the sides to make it rattle. Maybe worth getting a couple of seat covers on muddy days to stop crap being wiped off the forks down the back of the seats though... It's a deep boot too so getting two bikes with two lots of kit in is made easy!

Good to know, wont feel as bad if i have to sell the roof rack now.

I've had an FN2 for over a year and I really like it. I think its a great car, The steering is nicely weighted but because it isn't hydraulic means you don't the same feedback, but you still know where the wheels are in a corner so that doesn't really bother me.
That engine is just great it really punches you when you go for the high revs which happens a lot. Second gear is very short but that means the hooligan gears of third and forth are in a straight line which is great for shifting up and down.
I got the GT spec without sat nav but you get air con, cruse control which is great around town as well as long motorway journeys. The wheels look great but are heavy and being 19'' tyres are damn expensive, try and buy one with decent tyres as that makes a big difference, I have goodyear eagles on the front and falken on the back. The GT spec bumper is well worth getting as it adds to the meaness and I want to kill you look to the front of the car.
The rear seats fold flat which is great as I can get a full size mountain bike in it without taking a wheel off. There is no roof rack, towbar or boot rack available to carry mountain bikes.
I'm very happy with the car and I have upgraded to coilovers for handling purposes but I was happy with the standard set up for about a year.

Cheers for the useful info,Not sure if i will go with the 19" wheels the 18" will do me and with the cost of tyres... When you say GT spec bumper Did this start with a particular year or is it on all GT models? How much did the upgrade to coilovers cost you?
Cheers

He will mean the GP pack bumper. It's an optional extra.

I'm thinking the same Jude, Also going by what you paid for yours...Might look for a private sale.

Back