• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 New to the Forum / Hopefully Purchasing my first Ep3

Good Morning/Afternoon Everyone,

Im new to the Performance car scene, I have eventually managed so save up through the years and purchase the car i have always wanted to own the Ep3 Civic Type R.

So i thought this would be a good place to come and get some advice , I am travelling 4/5 hour to view a Ep3 on Saturday and i have already placed a deposit (Which will be refunded if i do not purchase the car).

It has 11 Stamps (05 Reg) and currently sitting on 110k miles. I have done my research and looks like 110k is nothing aslong as the car has been looked after. Recently Serviced less than 1000 miles , New Spark plugs , Oil Etc.

From the photos the car looks to be in Pristine condition , Nice Powerflow exhaust system installed , New Clutch recently fitted and bodywork/alloys all refurbished and detailed.

Its up for just short of £5,000 , which seems top dollar for Ep3 in this day and age?

Is their anything that you guys could recommend for me to have a look for ?

I will be also taking this Car out for a test drive.

Thank you very much :)

Not essential but find out if the timing chain has been done. Otherwise when you start it listen for it rattling as this could be an early sign that it wants looking at. Clutch should be fine if it's been done.

Pretty much listen for anything out of the ordinary really given the age of the car I wouldn't worry if it needs drop links or other minor things replacing if original.

Make sure the oil level is good before you start it obviously.

Other than that it's down to what you can see and hear buddy. Hope it's a good one!

Not essential but find out if the timing chain has been done. Otherwise when you start it listen for it rattling as this could be an early sign that it wants looking at. Clutch should be fine if it's been done.

Pretty much listen for anything out of the ordinary really given the age of the car I wouldn't worry if it needs drop links or other minor things replacing if original.

Make sure the oil level is good before you start it obviously.

Other than that it's down to what you can see and hear buddy. Hope it's a good one!

Thank you very much for that response :)!

I will ask about the Chain ! I think i forgot to mention its just had a Major Service , So hopefully that is covered in that.

If i buy it (which im hoping i will) I will post some photo's :)

A little pricey, but if it's a minter could be reasonable. Is it a Premier? I paid £4100 for a cosmic grey 06 plate Premier on 84k. Where are you based?

Just the usuals that are often overlooked in the excitement of buying - how much tread is on the tyres and how much meat is left on the brake pads. Are the discs deeply grooved or rusted - If you are paying good money then you dont want to find it needs £400 of consumables straight after purchasing. Camchain, valve clearances, fuel filter all of these are due around the 80-120k mark. If they are stamped off along with a new clutch then your laughing, if not then you can use them to haggle :D

Standard stuff.

Check it can shift at high revs without grinding after it's warmed up.
Check there's limited/no rust on the rear wheel arches. Look underneath for leaks (replacing the drive-shaft seals will be costly unless you're having the gearbox dropped for other reasons).
Make sure the check engine light (and ABS, SRS) show up when you first turn the key and disappear afterwards.
Check the spare and the wheel-well for it are in good shape and not damaged/rusty/wet.
Get your head under the rear bumper and check the crash bar (metal bumper section behind the plastic bumper) to see how rusty it is.

Along with everything others have mentioned too.

Did you end up getting it mate? As other's have said almost £5k is a hell of a lot of money for a 110k miles car but it totally depends on it's condition and previous service history.

I am looking at one on Saturday too, 100k but it's for £3.5k + has brand new brakes and MPS4s fitted. Sadly no new clutch or chain done but the guy had his full service at a motorsport shop nearby 1k miles ago and they checked them out and gave him the thumbs up so hopefully it lives up to my expectations :D

There's an 06 plate NHB premier on 120k not far from me for £2800! New brakes, 12 months mot

Last edited by a moderator:
£2800 is too cheap for an 06, I think something is up with it or the guy doesn't know his car's true value. Could even be a dodgy MOT covering issues.

Apparently "v-tech" comes on good :D Steering wheel looks like it's seen better days, all alloys are curbed, not sure about the front bumper and from the lack of information on the ad I can tell it has not been driven by an "enthusiast" either. Not sure man but I usually stay well away from cars like this, it's a minefield out there with the EP3/FN2 market at the moment.

Back