• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New to the site I have a ep3 misfire issue. Help!!

Hi I've had me ep3 3 weeks now it's a 2002 fitted with k&n typhoon air filter and stainless rear box since owning it I've felt slight hesitation like a misfire at between 1000 2000 rpm light throttle like as if you came to a round bout in second let off throttle then reapply throttle it will miss fire or hesitate very slightly then soon as throttle applied anymore it will clear it does this on 1st 2nd 3rd and not all time very intermittent which is annoying. Have no warning lights on at all I've reset ecu no change. Only thing I will say is that I think it's either got worse since put stainless rear box on or it's coz now I can hear a misfire where as before standard back box only feel it not hear it. I'm not sure where start in this problem it's livable but just spoils the car and I no it's there all the time if you get me. I have searched around a lot and seems there's loads of civics with this sort of problem and no fix please help any help be muchappreciated

Does it have good service history? Take a look at the condition of your spark plugs, clean air filter maybe change fuel filter aswell. it could also just be the induction kit you've got, have you got the original airbox just to try

It'll probably be the stock map not being 100% in line with the mods.

It's breathing better and it can't completely adjust to compensate.

Check the throttle cable isn't lose as this could cause a pause on pickup coming back on the throttle at low revs. It's unlikely but the timing being out due to the chain slipping a tooth on the cam gear can cause a misfire. Check the plugs are in good order and if it's due a service do that.

Other than that you are looking at a remap if you want to totally eradicate it, but in all honesty I'd get some more mods done like a bigger b-pipe and maybe a race header first to make it worth your while.

Have no standard air box is been serviced regally plugs done 10000 ago oil recently etc I'm not sure on the fuel filter thoe I run in on 97 octane and have run some cleaner through to. I don't want chuck loads money at this sort of problem I have read a lot bout it and seems quite common just be nice if some one else had same problem and sorted it the tps sensor looks new on the car so can't be that not sure what to try next

Loxy. Would a remap cure this or would it just map the ecu with the misfire still there. It runs so well when it's not doing it right through the hole rev range sweet as just this annoying little misfire now and then low revs. I did look at the throttle cable was very slack at the butterfly on the body so tightened it a little but weren't sure how tight it's meant to be that end of the cable should it be very tight round the butterfly or little loose, there's no slack in the pedal.

The pedal won't be slack.

It's supposed to be tight enough that it won't move easily, but not so tight as it would open the throttle body.

The standard map will in all likelihood be fine through most of the revs, it's just struggling at low revs when you you load the engine after overrun.

If it is the map, and the only real way to know would be for a mapper to have a look at it, then a remap would get rid of it. If it's something else, like the throttle cable or timing then no a remap's not going to cure it.

could have a look around the intake for any leaks make sure everything is as it should be. Dodgey Tps, iavc, map sensor maybe?

It's got new tps sensor I can tell the gaskets brand new on it where so look on the throttle body for leaks I can't see how timing could be out runs so well other rev range and when it don't do it. There's so many sensors to look at could cost a bomb to sort it does feel worse with new stainless box on y should it if any reason. When it makes the miss noise it sounds like the engine is flooded with either fuel or air then clears if that makes sence

No seems really good I've got mate with snap on ecu reader **** try that see it throws anything up just seems it's got worse with back box fitted which shouldn't have any effect I think

Fitted back box started missfire hesitation help

Hi fitted stainless rear box and I'm sure it's making car miss more and hesitate more than usal can this happen

How many of you have or had the low rpm misfire or hesitation ???

Hi how many of you have had the low rpm gentle on off throttle Misfire between 1000 2000 rpm and have managed to sort it or still living with it

Stainless rear box fitted now seems car running more boggy and hesitant ??

Had rear stainless box fitted my does run little rough anyway when cold but now seems worse with rear box fitted why could this be thanks in advance

Back