• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New TPS fitted. Crazy high Idle? Help

Ped

So my idle was buggered before, cleaned the IACV but was still getting a reving Idle so narrowed it down to faulty TPS. Fitted new TPS this morning and adjusted its angle about 5 times but car still wants to idle at 3500RPM. Is there something i've done wrong or that needs resetting? Help!

Reset the ECU man.

Disconnect the battery for half an hour, then re connect and let the car idle until the cooling fans kick in.

That will give the car time to settle and hopefully adjust your idle.

I tried the reset ECU fuse style. It idled high again. Im embarassed to leave it running lmfao! Its Piper Manifold Unsilenced B-pipe etc! Do you really think It will settle after its warmed?

I tried the reset ECU fuse style. It idled high again. Im embarassed to leave it running lmfao! Its Piper Manifold Unsilenced B-pipe etc! Do you really think It will settle after its warmed?

Maybe not if you've strapped all that larger bore piping to it without adjusting the fueling.

I assume you're running a OEM ECU with it all ??

Ok i've had it running with my diagnostic live data thing plugged in and the TPS is reading 21.35% Can i cure this in TPS position adjustment?

You need to align the TPS with the plate.

IE The TPS is twisted slightly.unscrew it ever so slightly and monouver it until it reads 0(ish)% with the throttle plate closed.

Then tighten it.

Just been out and done that. Got it about right now I think. But YEY to car is still reving itself :(. I sent it to a garage to have the IACV cleaned as I wasn't happy removing the throttle body myself. Since then I've had it off about ten times fiddling with this. So I think im going to give that a clean myself. Is that likely to cause reving though?

A sticking IACV will cause rev fulctuations yes.

Get it off, stripped completely and thouroughly cleaned.

Anything else you can suggest using as I do not have carb cleaner? I guess I can use soap and water etc aslong as I let it dry?

It will eventually settle, it just takes a while but the only reason it isn't settling quicker is because the IAC hasn't been cleaned properly. So I would re-clean properly and see how it goes.

Otherwise, a hundred miles later after giving it a few blasts will eventually sort it out. I drove mine 150 miles and it settled a little, then 4th gear VTEC completely sorted it out.

It will do this every time your battery dies or ECU resets unless the IACV is completely clean and freely working.

Bit of an update. I've got the throttle body fully off and on my desk here. Now i've been able to remove the idle control sensor and can instantly tell something is/was wrong. The spinning mechanical part coming from the IACV was stuck rocking between ''15 minutes''. All i've got at the minute before my dad gets home to pop out and get Carb Cleaner is compress air so i've shot some of that in and got the thing spinning quite freely. I have no been able to remove the IACV as the screws are in tight and the heads are a bit of a mess probably from when the garage tried and failed to remove it but insisted they had cleaned it for me; *******.

So I can either just shot some carb cleaner in from the TB and Manifold entrances or try and get the IACV fully off by perhaps cutting a flat headed screw driver shape into the screw head.

Bit of an update. I've got the throttle body fully off and on my desk here. Now i've been able to remove the idle control sensor and can instantly tell something is/was wrong. The spinning mechanical part coming from the IACV was stuck rocking between ''15 minutes''. All i've got at the minute before my dad gets home to pop out and get Carb Cleaner is compress air so i've shot some of that in and got the thing spinning quite freely. I have no been able to remove the IACV as the screws are in tight and the heads are a bit of a mess probably from when the garage tried and failed to remove it but insisted they had cleaned it for me; *******.

So I can either just shot some carb cleaner in from the TB and Manifold entrances or try and get the IACV fully off by perhaps cutting a flat headed screw driver shape into the screw head.

The garage quite clearly have lied to you...... That's not been done.

Most people use a Dremel or a small saw to cut a groove and use a screwdriver to egt them off so you can get right in about it and clean it very well.

I've used the garage a lot though thats what puzzles me. Its the sort of garage that has brand new lifts, clean well mannered staff, always busy etc. And i've become well known there :rolleyes:. Didn't expect that.

Back