• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

new type r owner few questions:)

Hey guys bought my first type R today after wanting one for so long.

its an EP3 here is photo: http://s30.postimg.org/5kg2gnb4x/IMG_0696_1.jpg

Few Questions

1. i bought the car as "spairs or repairs" as the bloke said the tensioner had broke and it had "chain slap" but before i bought it i still wanted to see it turn over to make sure no damage was done in side, they guy put jump leads on it and it fired up. I didnt hear any chain slap either so i bought it.

2. got it home cleaned it etc, my dad has worked with cars. he said i want to listen to it running to see whats what, so to speak. but know it wont start at all the battery was flat but charged it for about 5 hours, plus put jump leads on it, wants to start p
but just buzzing of petrol. so know he thinks i lied about it running :D any ideas where to start looking

it does have a cliffard alarm (boy said turn key till ignition is on the press "unlock on keyfob" then start it tried this also.

3. Can i buy a 2nd Gear syncromesh if so where to?

Thanks

David

Last edited by a moderator:
My FD2 has an aftermarket immobilizer, though it's not a Clifford. You've got 30 seconds from unlocking the car until it arms again. If it does that you press the unlock button again then fire it up, so that does sound plausible.

It could be there's not enough juice in the battery to turn it over if it's been flat, batteries don't like that, but if you've had jump leads on it too, maybe not. It could be an immobilizer thing or a wonky starter motor if it's not been running for a while.

It's possible you might not of heard anything on tickover regarding the chain as oil pressure is low on start and tickover anyway and the chain tensioner works off the oil pressure. If there was an issue you'd hear it when revved or driven.

To be honest a broken tensioner on its own isn't a cause to say the car is fit for spares or repairs. It's an easyish fix, which makes me think there is more to it.

If the tensioner is gone and he's driven it before realising then it could very easily have made the chain jump some teeth on the cam gear and if so the timing will be out. This doesn't always throw and an engine management light if it's a couple of teeth, but can do. This can also lead to it not starting, but wouldn't stop it turning over. It would have had to jump a lots of teeth to lead to piston to valve contact, so I don't think you've quite got that to worry about.

If you can get over the cranking issue you might just be looking at a new tensioner and chain, and maybe chain guides if it has really been moving around, re-do the timing and you'll have a runner. Don't buy cheap chains or tensioners though, get Honda ones, as cheap chains tend to stretch. Tegiwa do genuine ones cheap enough.

Best advice immediately would be to Google a handbook/instruction book for your immobilizer and go from there to rule that out. That is assuming you can't contact the seller to see if there is a trick to it. Maybe there's a contact on the clutch that means you have to press it in before it'll fire, that sort of thing.

Yes you can get second gear synchros. From Honda would be expensive but most people tend to do a full set of carbon lined ones from someone like M-Factory. Drop some of the traders a message and see what you come up with. A lot of 2nd gear issues do tend to be a worn clutch though, but if you are set on changing synchros I'd expect you'd be changing the clutch anyway. Just worth considering doing the clutch first and seeing how it is. The pressure plates can go weak on leggy clutches and they fail to disengage properly, and you first notice it on the change from 1st to 2nd at high revs and it gradually gets worse.

Let us know how you get on. ;)

Thanks for the Reply First off.

the car wasnt up for sale as Spares or Repairs, seen it parked up for ages on way to and back from work so one day knocked the door, he said its "broken"

he told me he had someone to look at it and it hasnt jumped a tooth, so when i went to buy it asked him just start it quick and turn it straight off to know its all good, so i dont think its bent any valves(hopefully)

i just dont get why it wont start know:L ive ordered chain tensioner and guides off tegiwa

ganna check today if shes sparking if not ill know its immobilizer

UPDATE:

still no no joy starting my ep3, so started with most obvious kind of stuff took plugs out there was nothing left of them they where ruined, bought new ones at £77 for 4!

still no joy, so I figured out the cliffard alarm out and it wasn't the immboilizser either, fuel pump comes on too, fuel coming through as we'll!

so I tried to tow her and pump here and omg! the noise from either the timming chain or the bottom end was shocking!

me and my dad took rocket cover off and the timming chain has slipt 3 teeth, and the guides are in bits, metal all over the dip stick, I duno what it is maybe timming chain or could be a lot worse engine coming out tomorrow to start stripping it!

good news ***, done compression test all the test where about 170-180 psi all 4!

going to take sump off and check big ends etc but I'm devastated going to cost me arm and leg too, not how I wanted to start my ep3 life haha

Jeez, sounds like a bit of work.

Lets just hope it's not the bottom end bearings in pieces that's caused the bits of metal. :(

You can pick them up for about a grand second hand, sometimes less.

You can get the crank ground but from what I've read you need a really good place doing it to small tolerances or you'll have problems again.

engine is out, wasn't to bad to do!

its 3 teeth out so hoping no major damage has been done tbh.

Unlucky. What are you planning on doing then? New engine or fix what you've got?

nah I can't brake it the shell I to good, I'm looking for engine/block fix it I'm keeping the car so be worth it.

could make build thread, any engines on here?

yeah how they so expensive:D never seen an engine bid to 1k!

only need a block don't need gearbox ecu loom inlet etc

Get a K24 bottom end, put your K20a2 head on it, remap with Kpro. It's called a Frankenstein build, mad torque for a Civic. ;)

Might work out cheaper (until you factor in the Kpro and mapping :oops: ) and it'll be a bit rapid afterwards.

bought 04 type r cat c rear ended:) had a bargin only 70k on clock:) if anyone needs anything let me know , why can't I post on for sale thread? cheers

Back