• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 New Type R performance?

I am yet to drive the new Type R and am curious as to how fast it is. How doe's it compare to STi's, e92 M3's and focus's RS's ect? After driving an M4 at the weekend it has made me want to get something a bit quicker in the future. I've spent a fair bit of time in an e92 M3 and really like it but they can be quite costly to run so was looking at staying in a hot hatch. I know some of you on here have had Scoobies and M3's and the like. How would you say the Type r compares in terms of handling and speed?

I had a 2010 WRX STi Type UK saloon and the new Type R is definitely faster in a straight line and feels more accurate to place on the road in corners. It does lack the standing start grip and fun factor that comes from a rear biased 4wd system though, so in that respect they are completely different cars.

One thing I will say is the Subaru lacked the special feeling on the interior trim and toys but definitely get that with the Honda.

I almost got an M135i instead of the Honda and might have done had the dealership not messed me about quite as much, but that didn't feel as special inside either, it felt quite wide on the road and a bit floaty and vague in comfort mode. Cracking engine when mated to that ZF semi auto box though.

I think my long term goal is to pay off the Type R and buy the M135i, or M140i as it will be from summer, for the commute and keep the Type R for weekend fun. Don't get me wrong it does the commute admirably but there are cars that do it better but they lack the b road excitement to be honest.

Cheers for that mate. I've really got to get a test drive in one. I assume the 135i is quicker in a straight line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BMW hooks up better but point to point I'd give it to the Honda on pure confidence.

Totally agree with Loxy in that once on the move the type R is rapid in a straight line, but sometimes finds it difficult to put power down from standstill. A 4wd car would be quicker from a standing start.

Not sure if this will help explain about how the civic feels in terms of power but I can try to describe how it feels compared to my Evo 6 that I had prior to the civic.....

I had a evo but i cant compare as it was tuned up to 400bhp and was four wheel drive so it was obviously quicker than the type R. But most of the time I drove the evo in standard boost (approx 280bhp) and the civic feels faster in a straight line over the evo in this boost setting. The evo put its power down better but also felt very soft compared to the very tight focussed chassis and steering of the type R. They are very different.
The power delivery is very different too. The evo has a bit of lag and then went crazy when the boost came on with neck snapping initial power. The civic has a much more linear power delivery. The initial surge is nowhere near as pronounced as the evo (nor a scooby i would imagine) but the power is consistant all the way through the rev range. You are doing serious speed in no time at all. I think it may have been engineered this way to avoid wheel spin maybe?? The linear delivery ensures all the power is fed cleanly to the wheels once on the move. Interesting to see if anyone knows if this is the case or not...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great write up, cheers. I'm leaning greatly towards the type r over anything else at the moment. Hopefully the second hand market will pick up a bit in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give my brief view on the FK2 after approx 20 min drive.

The chassis felt great, point to point cornering was brilliant. The gearbox was as slick as ever like the typical Honda's. The steering was responsive, and felt a bit more weighted compared to a stock EP3 and provided more feedback. The interior was a nice place to be, didn't feel overly cheap and a place I would be happy to sit for long journeys.

On to the downsides.
There was a bit of turbo lag but as to be expected really, nothing changing down a gear wouldn't sort out. Mid range punch was great, heaps of torque and this is a vast improvement. For me personally, it lacked at the top end, it seemed to run out of puff and power delivery went flat around the 5800rpm mark and I was expecting it to continue to pull all the way up to the limiter. Maybe it was the crappy supermarket fuel it was run on? I'm not sure.
The brakes also lacked initial bite, again maybe I was expecting more or just use to trackday pad compounds.
The tyres are hit and miss, work well for the usual road use, but they don't seem to like much abuse, they give good feel but go off rather quickly.

Maybe after 5 years of hype I was expecting a lot more, but I guess the things I've mentioned are aimed more towards a trackday car than that of a road car, and I can understand why these things are like the way they are, and I'm the sort of person who would prefer the more hardcore feel.

I'm going to test drive the Megane RS 275 next, hopefully in the next couple of weeks to try and compare the two to which suits me better, I also need to try get a bit more seat time with the Civic. No doubt though, the Civic looks immense and is a real head turner!

If you purely look at 0-XXX times, the Type R is not the car for you. It's a FWD, and it's one of the fastest ever. All competition will do the stand still starts 1 or more seconds quicker but those are RDW or AWD cars.

On track the Type R beats every competition, even the M3 and M4. And it's such a fun car to drive.

Take a look at the just released Ford RS 2016 btw, that's one sick car to drive. Fast in straight line and the best driving experience you can get for that money, but not as fast on track as the Type R is.

Back