• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New tyre advice for newbie

Hi guys,

Just picked up my new 04 EP3 CTR yesterday and the tyres fitted are pretty rubbish so looking to change them out in the next few weeks.

Was thinking of either Toyo T1R Proxes or Avon ZZ3's in 205/45 R17. Has anyone used these and what are they like in the wet as I live in Aberdeen and it rains A LOT here.

Any advice or alternatives would be appreciated.

Cheers :D

Dotty,

Can I run the 215/40's on the standard wheels without any rubbing in the arches or noticeable differences to the handling?

Sorry if this is easily answered as is my first type-r and my last car was a 4x4 so no alloys on it.

Dotty,

Can I run the 215/40's on the standard wheels without any rubbing in the arches or noticeable differences to the handling?

Sorry if this is easily answered as is my first type-r and my last car was a 4x4 so no alloys on it.

215/40 will be absolutely fine to run on the standard wheels fella.

Dont like avons, have used toyo t1r's before on a pulsar and a 200sx and loved them in the wet and dry. Heard very good thnigs about the goodyear f1's but never used them.

Currently runnning 215 40s on mine with no problems. Using yoko parada's which in the dry are good but if you show them some water they do struggle plus they do wear quite quick, needless to say im going back to either t1r's or i might try some f1's next.

Avoid the Paradas, absolute ***** in the wet, dangerous.

Same old song Nick. Only dangerous in the wet if you drive like a tw@t. I've been using them for the past year and a half on the EP3 and DC5 and they've always been fine with me.

I wasn't driving like a tw@, it's probably the EPS giving me no feedback when the tyres lose grip on a bend.

I wasn't driving like a tw@, it's probably the EPS giving me no feedback when the tyres lose grip on a bend.
So how fast where you going on a bend for your tyres to loose grip. I can comfortably and confidently travel along wet windy country roads at 60mph with Yoko's and not loose any grip. TBH, I wouldn't push it any more regardless of tyre. Compensate for the conditions.

Just normal speeds like housewives driving their kids to school. Totally different feedback to dry. As in none.

I think it's safe to say we will agree to disagree. Tyre choice is often down to personal preference anyway.

I'm not saying that the Yoko's are the best tyre in the world, but for the price (about £65 a corner unfitted) you will struggle to find anything better. Lots of people run them on here with little problems, but I would take it easy in the wet regardless of rubber.

888 cost a shed load. They have awesome grip in the dry but suck in the wet, worse than pradas. I struggle with them in some light rain driving a mates evo 7, spinning with less than half throttle.

Pradas for the price as has been said are very good, i just dont like the lack of confidents they inspire in the wet. Maybe a little different for me as ive come from several rwd and 4wd cars but just not over keen on there wet performance even when driving steady. Sometimes i find they are fine, but have felt as other times they just a little too scetchy.

For a few quid extra toyos can be had which is whats going on my ep next.

I'm not saying that the Yoko's are the best tyre in the world, but for the price (about £65 a corner unfitted) you will struggle to find anything better. Lots of people run them on here with little problems, but I would take it easy in the wet regardless of rubber.

For the price paradas are very hard to beat. I have had them for the last year and a half and have been happy with them in both wet and dry conditions. They are much better in the wet than the bridgestone re40's i had on when i bought the car.

Back