• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New Window Screen

Well after a stone chip which happen last Thursday, a crack grew over night (prob the heat) until Firday morning when it was about 9 inches. :mad:

Anyway rang the insurance and booked it in for Tuesday with Autoglass for £60 excess:evil:.

So was wondering if anyone's had there screen replaced and any thing I should look for :confused:

I've heard stories about stanley knifes and rust under the seals.

Only thing I heard was that you should ask for genuine Honda glass...or they will stick in a windscreen from another glass maker...

Only thing I heard was that you should ask for genuine Honda glass...or they will stick in a windscreen from another glass maker...

I know they had to order the glass in with the specific tint but will phone and check that it is Honda :).

Just thinking I'm going to lose my no Airbag baby/front seat sticker :( so one less original thing ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate, i use to work in the windscreen game a few years back & i have done a ctr screen. Ask the guy if you can watch i know it can be off putting for him, but it will give you an idea what to watch for when he does the job.

1. Dust sheet in car.
2. new screen out ( check for damage before taking old one out )
3. Take side trims off A post on outside he should have new clips for trims.
4. Wiper blades off scuttle panel off.
5. Cut screen out with a kent tool bothsides & top then a long knife across bottom, screen out.
6. cut old bonding back to about a couple of mm of paintwork
7. clean screen then primer on bodywork / screen
8. New bonding on bodywork screen goes in press down, trims etc fitted
9. leave for 1hr but try & leave it for as long as possiable any problems get them back out!!

hope this is some help.

Hi mate, i use to work in the windscreen game a few years back & i have done a ctr screen. Ask the guy if you can watch i know it can be off putting for him, but it will give you an idea what to watch for when he does the job.

1. Dust sheet in car.
2. new screen out ( check for damage before taking old one out )
3. Take side trims off A post on outside he should have new clips for trims.
4. Wiper blades off scuttle panel off.
5. Cut screen out with a kent tool bothsides & top then a long knife across bottom, screen out.
6. cut old bonding back to about a couple of mm of paintwork
7. clean screen then primer on bodywork / screen
8. New bonding on bodywork screen goes in press down, trims etc fitted
9. leave for 1hr but try & leave it for as long as possiable any problems get them back out!!

hope this is some help.

Thanks this is a great help :D Do you know of anyway to prevent scratches when using the knife to prevent future rusting/bubbling?

It's all made in the same factory anyway. Honda just slap a stamp on afterwards.

I had my windscreen on my Teg changed earlier in the year. TBH, £60 for a windscreen is a steal IMO (I think Honda charge upwards of £200 just the screen wihtout fitting).

It doesn't affect your NCB either. :twisted:

Thanks this is a great help :D Do you know of anyway to prevent scratches when using the knife to prevent future rusting/bubbling?

Tbh mate that is down to the fitter some are good with the knife, but i know what you are saying. the primer is good but once the oem one is out everything is exposed,but you should be ok if this is the first time it been done aslong as it not an on going thing hope this as put your mind out rest.

thanks.

It's all made in the same factory anyway. Honda just slap a stamp on afterwards.

I had my windscreen on my Teg changed earlier in the year. TBH, £60 for a windscreen is a steal IMO (I think Honda charge upwards of £200 just the screen wihtout fitting).

It doesn't affect your NCB either. :twisted:

LOL you are looking at about £600.00+vat for a screen from main dealer
me & a mate fitted a oem merc sprinter van screen for a customer all because he wanted the badge on the screen before he sold it, it cost him £895+ vat, when we use to buy them in bulk it worked out at about £15.00 a screen so yes £60 is a steal as the insurance companys pick the rest of the bill up.

Well he's here fitting the window as I type, checked how he removed the window in case of scratches so hopefully the rest should go ok.

I used to be in this game too, i always used to be careful however the temptation to rush was there if the customer wasn't there so make sure your present when they do it as the companies who do this give loads of jobs to the fitters through a day so they rush and sometimes this is detremental to the customer, the only thing i'll advise is that you make sure they cover all areas of the apeture of the car (flange where the screen bonding goes) with primer as this will protect against rust if the fitter has scored the paind with the cutting tool, this will not be visible once the screen has been fitted however. Hope this helps if you aint already had it done!
JIM

Make sure that they dont break the clips or side trim my clips are broken and now the trim is not perfect :(

Make sure that they dont break the clips or side trim my clips are broken and now the trim is not perfect :(
They should foot the bill for any clips broken and they usually carry them on the van, when I did that for a living that was the company policy!

Just to add to this i had mine done last week. Asked for a honda screen but they refused but it is a pilkington one all the same. Stood out with the fitter chatting and turned out his son is part of the Dorset jap car club and the fitter is into his motorbikes. Did a fantastic job (other than cleaning the inside of the screen but it was really damp that day so i cant blame him to much).

The fitter did said i was very lucky. Had a rock flick up from between the rear wheels of a lorry in front and the fragments had gone clean through the screen and were all over the underside of the dash where it meets the screen. It hit about an inche above passenger wiper. He said any higher and chances are looking at the damage it did to the screen it would have likely hit me.

Back