• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Newbie- advice on intake and exhuast system

HI Guys,
Ive just registered for the site after having just bought my premier 05 nighthawk black EP3. At the moment it is completely standard, and I am just looking to do a few mods to give it a bit of personalisation.
I want to start by giving it a bit more engine noise, and power if possible. However I don't want it really loud or drony, as I will be using it everyday, so I am looking for a nice raspy noise that is just a bit louder than standard.
After doing some research, I was thinking about starting with the Hondata airbox mod, with a K&N filter, for the induction, and the putting an un-silenced B-pipe onto the standard OEM manifold and back box.
Ive looked into these three,
Scorpion, Supersprint and Sportex b-pipes

But cant decide which would be best for me, with the setup im thinking.
Any help and advice would be awesome.
cheers :)

Hi and welcome, i have a supersprint b pipe mated with a spoon n1 backbox, very loud when booting it and quite droney, highly recommend the supersprint but the sportex is pretty good and much much cheaper. Would recommend a typhoon for the aggressive vtec change over although it is prone to heatsoak so depending on how deep your pockets are the recommended airbox is tegiwa M or gruppe M, comes down to personal preference ;)

Unsilenced b-pipes are cheap and make a great noise, not droney at all. I put up some videos of the noise a while back, have a look for the exhaust noise thread.

I've done the airbox mod, and put in a spoon filter. It doesn't make much difference, though it does rev a little more freely. If you want noise, either open cone or GruppeM/TegM. I really didn't like the open cone on mine, heatsoak FTL.

Ok, I will look a little bit more and probably go for the sportex b-pipe to get a bit of noise going.
I have read a lot about the induction systems, and havnt seemed to read many good things about the typhoon or any other open cone filter which worries me and puts me off. I will eventually be looking at getting either the tegM or GruppeM, but that will come further down the line. Think ill try out the Hondata to start and see how it feels.
Thanks for the comments

Ok, I will look a little bit more and probably go for the sportex b-pipe to get a bit of noise going.
I have read a lot about the induction systems, and havnt seemed to read many good things about the typhoon or any other open cone filter which worries me and puts me off. I will eventually be looking at getting either the tegM or GruppeM, but that will come further down the line. Think ill try out the Hondata to start and see how it feels.
Thanks for the comments
Hi and welcome mate. I've also recently joined site and came across your thread. Just looking for bit advice. Have you managed to replace your centre section with sportex b-pipe? Im getting mine fitted on friday with manifold, sports cat & new OEM rear box. So we could pretty much say the whole bloody thing! Lol. Im curious to hear the sound you get from the sportex. If have any vids would be super mate.
Many thanks,
Marko

This is what mine sounded like with the sportex. This is with an external mic, so it sounds louder than it is, though yours will be louder with the manifold. [video=youtube;TSMrbuaSObs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSMrbuaSObs[/video]# There's a few threads about the sportex, have a read of those.

hi Marko,
Ive actually been away so havnt had a chance to sort out and fit the sportex or anything else yet. Mine will be done in slow stages I think. I just watched the video posted above and I think it sounds awesome! Did you get everything fitted and working yet? sound good?
Thanks
Oli

Everything was OE apart from the 2.5" sportex b-pipe when that vid was taken.

It's not a loud setup, though you can hear it well enough from the cabin when you give it a bootfull. I spent a lot of time driving with the windows down because it wasn't loud enough for my tastes.

Aye, it's quite a marked change in volume and tone from just a mid pipe. The vid was done with a good external mic about a foot from the exhaust tip, so it picks up the sound really clearly. You don't hear nearly as much from the cabin, the rasp is toned down and pops and burbles are completely masked. I've now got a aftermarket back box attached to that b-pipe, it's properly loud, but you can hear all the burbly goodness from inside.

Back