• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Newbie EP3 owner track build

Hi, ok so first of all I better introduce myself and say Hi.

I bought a 30th Anniversary Milano Red EP3 and I am currently converting in to a dedicated track car, so any and all advise on must have items will be appreciated. I have lots of questions to ask but all in good time.

I started by fully stripping the car interior out leaving only the dash, Just the door cards left but will be replaced as and when. I am on a bit of a rolling budget but hoping to see a track in 2018.

The bits done so far are as follows

Stripped out interior
4-2-1 JDM manifold
Polybushed engine & gearbox mounts
Cat back Magnex exhaust
AC removal
Front camber adjustment bolts
Skunk 2 gear knob
Carbon and filled centre console (to put gauges in)
Tegiwa Intake
PHP:
Race radiator (ordered)
Battery cut out (ordered)

I will be replacing wheels, seats, suspension, putting in a roll cage to get me going. But I want to install a sump baffle, upgrade brakes, braided hoses, rear spoiler, front splitter, door cards, Perspex windows (front) plus lots more bits and bats.

As mentioned any advise is much appreciated. I will be doing a full service so advice on oil etc and which coil overs are recommended for the track. What’s needed what isn’t etc

Once I figure out how to upload images I will do so and update as I go.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site

I'd say without a doubt brakes are the single biggest improvement the EP3 needs for track. Stoptech BBK is a truly amazing mod, you might want to read my review I wrote on them.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself!

Thanks Partyvan.

Yes the stoptech are something I have been looking at. I want to get the car track worthy for the summer and as mentioned I am on a budget so to begin with I’ll be putting some rpb discs with ds2500 pads and braided hoses until I find I am outdoing them. I have made a decision that will suit my monthly budget to get the car on the track and upgrade bits as I go and decide on which bits I feel are most needed, should this be brakes first so be it, in the mean time I’ll be adding all the smaller bits and bats on to the car.

I am a little unsure on what sort of thing is required as I have never built any kind of track car, my past is enduro/Mx bikes and off-roaders. So I see things like oil coolers, adjustable steeering arms etc etc and I just aren’t sure if I need them or not but hoping I’ll find out as I go. I see underside X bars and other bars but not sure what the hell they are lol so staying away from buying anything I don’t know what they do for now. At the minute I am just enjoying tinkering on the car myself so any cheap bits and bats advised I will take on board and look in to them as well as which suspension components etc are required.

Hoping someone can advise how to add pics as I’d like to put a few up, every time I try it says file too large.

Thanks for the advice

#1 track mod: LSD

Couple good cheaper mods you're missing;
JDM Rear ARB
Rear camber arms

You'll need a k100 + remap to make the most of your manifold & exhaust.

Fit the best rubber you can afford :)

Enjoy.

#1 track mod: LSD

Couple good cheaper mods you're missing;
JDM Rear ARB
Rear camber arms

You'll need a k100 + remap to make the most of your manifold & exhaust.

Fit the best rubber you can afford :)

Enjoy.

LSD is something I have looked in to and in time will most likely do it.

Is a rear ARB more important than a front?

Rear camber arms will be done when the suspension is done also.

A K100 & map will also be done in time once I’ve got to grips with the car and got the handling set up.

Not quite sure what rubber to put on yet but will decide when I put some new wheels on.

Wasn’t quite sure it would end up costing so much when I started lol this is just another one of my many hobbies but it’s kind an extra one as my main one takes up most my money and time so this project could take some time to get finished, but I’m too far in to it to turn back now, also I am one of those folk who doesn’t like to give up on something and always go full on to it so will be done properly and not cheap just because I am on a budget, it just means it will take longer but I’ll buy once and buy it right.

Cheers Si

Is a rear ARB necessary if it’s having a 6 point weld in cage?

Absolutely! A roll cage won't reduce body roll at all. It will increase stiffness but won't have a huge affect on how the suspension operates.

An anti roll bar affects the relationship between the body of the car and the suspension and from wheel to wheel.

Absolutely! A roll cage won't reduce body roll at all. It will increase stiffness but won't have a huge affect on how the suspension operates.

An anti roll bar affects the relationship between the body of the car and the suspension and from wheel to wheel.

Yes of course, sorry I was thinking of a strut brace, my bad. It’s because I have literally jut been looking at at them for the front.

Do you think the rear ARB is an important upgrade? What about a front ARB and also a strut brace?

Thank you for your advice, as you can tell I need it

Yes of course, sorry I was thinking of a strut brace, my bad. It’s because I have literally jut been looking at at them for the front.

Do you think the rear ARB is an important upgrade? What about a front ARB and also a strut brace?

Thank you for your advice, as you can tell I need it

Upgraded front ARB isn't needed at this point. There's a JDM front ARB too but that doesn't increase stiffness. Maybe in a few years once you've dialled the car in you might want to think about this.

Chassis wise, the EP3 is relatively stiff and doesn't really benefit from a front or rear strut brace. I certainly couldn't tell the difference between a fitted strut brace or not.

I found the JDM rear ARB to be a great upgrade, really gave confidence in the rear end. I found the UKDM ARB to make for some slightly unpredictable lift off over steer characteristics.

Upgraded front ARB isn't needed at this point. There's a JDM front ARB too but that doesn't increase stiffness. Maybe in a few years once you've dialled the car in you might want to think about this.

Chassis wise, the EP3 is relatively stiff and doesn't really benefit from a front or rear strut brace. I certainly couldn't tell the difference between a fitted strut brace or not.

I found the JDM rear ARB to be a great upgrade, really gave confidence in the rear end. I found the UKDM ARB to make for some slightly unpredictable lift off over steer characteristics.

Good advise thank you, this is why I needed to join this forum as I could have gone out and spent a load of money on stuff I didn’t need, also to find out what is good and what isn’t (brands) is very helpful.

Thanks

Our latest tweaks were a JDM rear ARB, adjustable camber arms & bolts and then a 'FRSU' which has really made a difference to the handling characteristics of the car. Still on standard shocks and springs for now but really enjoying it.

Our latest tweaks were a JDM rear ARB, adjustable camber arms & bolts and then a 'FRSU' which has really made a difference to the handling characteristics of the car. Still on standard shocks and springs for now but really enjoying it.

Cool, sounds like I need to invest in a JDM ARB then ;) mine is on eibach 40mm springs with a FRSU but don’t think I’ll track it like that though.

Just received my radiator so that’s this weekends job along with a few other bits and bats.

Ok so just found a JDM rear ARB which I will buy but doesn’t come with bushes, is there any recommended bushes to put on at the same time? TIA

I used superpro poly bushes. Others are available. 19mm diameter if my memory serves. 16mm for ukdm.

Ok so today my radiator came so I have just been to fit it but unfortunately the bolt holes for the fans don’t line up so guess it will have to go back :(

Today I ordered my seats for the car, I also ordered a JDM rear ARB and some super pro bushes.

I have been and stripped off all the brakes and hoses and I ordered some RPB braided hoses and some DS2500 pads but can’t decide on what discs to go for, any advise on this would be appreciated. I have been looking at the RPB discs but are they really worth the £300 price tag for just the discs?

If you're staying the standard size for now just get some Brembo OE discs, they'll do the job for now until you go for a big brake kit. That coupled with the braided hoses and a RBF600 fluid are a good 'fast road'/occasional track setup.

If you're staying the standard size for now just get some Brembo OE discs, they'll do the job for now until you go for a big brake kit. That coupled with the braided hoses and a RBF600 fluid are a good 'fast road'/occasional track setup.

Thanks Krzys.

It is going to be a track only car and trailored to and from the track, do you think those discs will do for track only use until I can afford a BBK? If the RPB discs are going to be the better option for now I will buy them not a problem it’s just if they are only 10% better but for 50% more cost it wouldn’t be worth it. I’d love to buy the BBK from the start but unfortunately I don’t have the amount of cash needed as I am trying to at least get the car on the track for the summer as I have LOTS of other bits going on the car soon, I will be upgrading as I go in the places I feel it is lacking and that amount of money in one hit I cannot take unfortunately :(

I went from Brembo OE to the RPB and don't think they've been worth the extra on the road. You can always change them about as you go along, maybe try the Brembo, see how you get on and go from there?

Back