• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

newbie with bad misfire

Ok where to start, Got this car of a friend who had it for about 6-8months, then got rear ended, write off, and then i got it.
ok so far, then rev's up and down after its warm. ok no problem, checked forum found the problem :)
Then had it jigged. so started loads of times. Out of my garage on to transporter and back etc back in garage out to do more work on it, then tryed to start it !!!! would not start !! Would only start if i put the throttle full or half way down, but missing like bugger, code p0341 no rattle from chain before, ran like clock work !!!!Could it be the cam sensor as the battery was only turning the car over slowley. ps have fully charged the battery- checked oil etc same problem !!!!!!! where do i go now. Its a 53 plate with 112t miles on it. Gutted :(

Have changed both the cam sensor's (pulse + TDC) (second hand) as they are the same part number's.
And changed them around, did this with the two in the car and the two s/hand one's.
Car still the same, Have checked wiring as best as I can, and checked under bonnet fuses.
Battery back on charge again as its flat !!!
Out of idea's now :(

OK to days update, went for the timing chain setting. If I am right in thinking that the engine turns over anti-clock wise ie by the arrow on the head pointing that way, then my tensioner has gone. Because it just jumps the teeth on the rear cam.
Any help on this one please.

OK just had some help off my brother, car in gear pushed forward and engine goes clock-wise (could not see this on my own), When I 1st tryed the cam setting, after 15mins of trying, could not get marks to line up, thats when i thought i was turning in the wrong direction !!

Yep, turning it in the wrong direction won't help , hehe, Easy mistake to do.
Got to be spot on for it all to work as well otherwise ecu gets the hump.

Can any one send me a fitting guide for the chain + tensioner or links on how to.
any help on this one please :) have tryed the net, can not find one !!!

Ok from wot I can gather is that when I was pulling the car back ward's to pull out the damage. I must of left the car in gear. which decompresses the tensoner which makes the chain jump the cam teeth !!! can i just keep turning it back ward's to put it back to ware it was or will it damage the valve's !!!!! any help on this one !!

Back