• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hi everyone

Im a newbie here so just saying hello to everyone...:asw:and to let you all know a bit more about myself, im currently looking into buying my first type r..and im thinking about the EP3 (as i prefer the look, and im led to believe that its a better drive? as well as quicker?).

Ive always liked the type r but as a young driver i could never afford the insurance :(..and im finally at the age where its a reasonable price to buy one, Ive done all my research on the ep3 so now the hunt is on! :) my perfect one would be a cosmic grey with AC and front fogs with the normal interior (not the 30th anniversary one or the premier one) with a hull Honda service history (but may consider just a normal full service history) im a fussy person aint i lol

But while im writing this is the EP3 far better than the FN2? because if i cant find my ideal car i may have to settle for the FN2 but what is the things to look out for on them? Ive heard things about a rattling dash? be good to hear what people have to say about it

Anyway i look forward to owning a type r and meeting new people when i get it ill post pictures on here.

Thanks for reading :smt039

Loxy is your man as far as the FN goes, he used to own a prime example that was very well modded. As far as EP's go, you're looking at a very unstable market at the moment. They are either showroom perfect and big money, of a car of their age, or abused to hell and cheap as chips.
As for the actual car, the EP is a fantastic one. It goes like a bullet when you want or need it to, it doesn't exactly slouch in the corners if you put a little bit of cash into it, good springs and a geometry setup, and you'll be laughing all the way through 8500rpm. The FN is a heavier car due to the extra luxuries it had, but the power was roughly the same, I think there was 1-2bhp difference between the two cars.
If you're having trouble finding a good car, TRO and CTRO are a good place to start, there is always an ex forum car or two available, most of which have had a good life, rather than some of the eBay or Gumtree offerings. HTH ;)

Hello and welcome. :smt006

The FN2 is a more grown up version, just as quick and more stable at speed.

My honest advice would be to go and test drive both back to back and make up your own mind. No-one on here knows what you like or look for in a car, so anything that is said is just personal opinion. Only you can make your mind up.

EP3 buying guide and common faults at the top of this section: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?136-Civic-Type-R-(EP3-and-EK9)

FN2 buying guide here: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...ing-guide-check-list-for-the-FN2-Civic-Type-R

;)

Thanks for advise lads, ive seen a few i like but one of them on the passenger side the plastic were you lift up to tilt the seat forward has broke...not sure what its called but its broke off you can still get into the back seats with it but can this be replaced? or is it just a case of swap the seat or live with it?

thanks for both posts though :)

Do you mean the top bit of plastic as if so, yes this can be replaced, just clips on which is why it may have fallen off. Just had to replace mine.
Not sure about the bottom piece though.

Back