• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Next-gen Civic Type R – Auto Express mag request

Personally I would want to see it remain a high revving NA engine, if that's not possible, a supercharged engine, to keep acceleration more linear. There will be plenty of models in the range that will have all the toys, so the Type R should return to it's roots, a light-weight road racer and not become Honda's equivalent of a Mk3/4 Golf GTI, fat and underpowered.

A LSD as standard would be nice, if not, an option of having one from the off would be nice. In fact, I'd like to see a good spread of options for the Type-R if it's not standard on the base model, and I don't mean parking sensors and refrigerated glove boxes, I mean, Brembos, Recaros, aero packs etc.

Type R's are all about high revving N/A engines. If Honda can't produce this at the moment due to emissions regulations, then I think it's time to give the type R brand a rest. Don't dilute the heritage down with some half arsed attempt to please the masses.

Personally I do not like the new gen civic at all and think it's doesn't deserve the Type R guise. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so the Type R should skip this generation and come back with a bang when Honda can produce an engine to fit the bill without compromise.

Type R's are all about high revving N/A engines. If Honda can't produce this at the moment due to emissions regulations, then I think it's time to give the type R brand a rest. Don't dilute the heritage down with some half arsed attempt to please the masses.

Personally I do not like the new gen civic at all and think it's doesn't deserve the Type R guise. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so the Type R should skip this generation and come back with a bang when Honda can produce an engine to fit the bill without compromise.

This, spoken like a boss.

I agree with the sentiment of giving Type R a rest for a generation or even two. Honda have never cared too much about the UK market (despite the EP3 in particular being a massive sales success in terms of hot hatches) so if the Euro V regulations stop Type in Europe for now then so be it. I'd rather have nothing than a turbo Type R, which over the previous years, became the last bastion of naturally aspirated hot hatches.

When it comes around again, Honda's engineers need to go back to the older models, the DC2, the EP3, EK9 etc, and spend a while driving them, to remember what made them great. Forget the FN2's approach of taking a heavy, luxury spec car and sticking a decent engine in it, focus more on saving weight. Make it light on it's feet and make it scream, or don't make it at all.

Dave Kemp

Don't see what all the fuss is about. Nowt wrong with a turbo.
Keep the engine high revving but smaller (1.6?) and put a very small turbo on it.

Honda are a business, they sell cars to make money, a stripped out racing spec Type R wouldn't sell in the masses like the EP3/FN2 has done.

It's not going to happen.

Honda are a business, they sell cars to make money, a stripped out racing spec Type R wouldn't sell in the masses like the EP3/FN2 has done.

It's not going to happen.

Well they need to bring back the VTi versions again then and leave the Type R limited editions. Bit like the original and best DC2!

The whole thing is silly. A turbo type r will use more fuel than an N/A version. You tell me which is better for the environment.

Edit - less weight would mean less power needed in anycase.

The whole thing is silly. A turbo type r will use more fuel than an N/A version. You tell me which is better for the environment.

Edit - less weight would mean less power needed in anycase.

Not if it's a diesel:getcoat:

Thanks for all your replies guys. The story went live on the website last week here .

I'll get a screen cap of the magazine because the online story doesn't have your replies in it.

Here's the article, Click on the image for a bigger version

Last edited by a moderator:
Back