• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

No coolant in radiator and mayo

On friday i had my aux belt and a pulley replaced at my local garage. later that night i was sitting at traffic lights and the temp guage went through the roof! left it a while and it never happened again until this morning .... everytime i was idle the temp guage was rising.

so after a look under the bonnet i realised there was no coolant in the radiator and was some sort of mayo like gunge on the underside of the radiator cap. filled up the radiator with coolant and all seems to be well.

im a little concerned about the mayo on the cap but im just wondering if the mechanic that chamged the belt on friday would have had to drain the coolant to do the repair or not? and maybe forgot to fill it up again? or maybe i need a compression (?) test done? :confused:

thanks in advance from a very new civic owner and my mechanic skills and knowledge are limited !!;)

He means your engine may be needing a bit of a rebuild

Mayo is normally a sign of oil and coolant mixing

Which would explain your coolant being empty

Normally is a sign of head gasket

Pointers for what? An engine? Mayo? How you lost coolant?

Engine - eBay, forums, tuners

Mayo - mixture of oil and water. Open your oil cap should be in there aswel.

Lost coolant - a leak obviously. How? Would need to see your engine.

Could have leaked out elsewhere, cooked the HG then started mixing. These HGs are strong, have only see them go from other overheating problems.

Wouldn't rebuild it mate. The K20 heads poo themselves internally. You can skim the block and head, new HG, but it will come back with HG problems guaranteed. Another head maybe then rebuild, I'd just go for another engine considering the amount of work if you can't do it yourself

If it has knackered the head and it's new engine time, you certainly can't make it any worse by running it to see how it goes.

Worst case scenario you confirm what's been said, best you don't have another issue.

I'd make sure you have breakdown recovery though.

Wouldn't worry about recovery too much, just keep levels topped up. Keep an ear out for dodgy starting, misfiring on start up, white smoke.

There is not reAlly any Signs of mayo in the oil . More just on the radiator cap but it could have just been condensation?

Just seems weird that the coolant totally disappeared in the space of a few hours... After the car havig a repair done

I reckon they stole your coolant for their own car as its Type R coolant (bit quicker than normal car coolant). Trololo

Just run it mate, sed how it is in a few weeks.

There is no smoke now that levels are fine . No dodgy start up or misfiring. Only problem is that there is gunge on the radiator cap and there is no sign of anything on the end of the dipstick. Would any of these things be due to the car sitting idle for a couple of months? Cheers for the help anyway I'm gonna have it pressure tested this week

Back