• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

No hot air!!

So today for some reason the ep3 has now got a new problem and being bloody cold and wet it does not help. So topped up the coolant today via the rad cap and now the heater only blows cold air! Iv done a 150mile run and no change.
I also gave the engine and bay a clean with gunk foam I protected as many electrical connections as possible. The car is not overheating the fan kicks in fine and car runs without fault.

has anyone got any ideas as to the problem?

It's usually a resistor that will have blown and need replacing. Do a search and the thread will make itself know.

It is funny that it has coincided with when you have been messing with the coolant, but as long as the expansion tank is up to level still after a run it will be right.

Searching the web to find out the problem is the first thing I do before asking the question here.
i wonder could it be a stuck open thermostat, if so can this be fixed by removing the bumper or is it a inlet off job.

There's a valve near the bulkhead that restricts the hot water flow depending on what setting you've got it set on. It's cable operated to make sure that's all connected.

The coolant hose off the block to the heater matrix seems to operate fine there are two hoses that go to the bulk head from the block one is always cold other red hot. If I turn the heater knob inside the car from cold to hot you can hear a change in the flow but I'll I get is cold mild ward air.

iv checked all fuses in engine bay and under steering wheel all is fine.

i think one of the following-

. Open thermostat
. Broken matrix
. Risistor ( but I thought this operated the blower fan)

What's the engine water temperature gauge on the dash like when you've been driving a while? Does it take a while to climb to normal, or is it even getting up to a normal point?

The water temperature gauge works as it should, start the car from cold leave it ticking over for 5 mins the needle will sit just shy of half way then the fan will kick in.
All works as it should, I drove 650miles with this issues and drives lovely still.
when you turn the heat dial from cold to hot you can hear a change in the flow but just no hot air.
im going to replace the thermostat at the weekend hopfully it sorts it out.

It won't be the thermostat then mate if the engine is getting up to temperature and not overheating or even cooling down.

Well this was my first though, but as it's only a £18 part and a whip the bumper off 2 min job I thort sod it.
Im confused as to what the hell could be the problem. Usually if the matrix goes it will leak and leave you with soggy wet carpet.

If one pipe is cold going into the heater matrix/bulk head then it will be the blend valve stuck or heater matrix blocked. Thermostat has nothing to do with the heater in the car. If the engine is up to temp the thermostat is doing its job.

I'd try and find the valve and turn the dial from hot to cold and watch for movement, or take both coolant pipes off the bulk head connection and stick a hosepipe through to see if it's blocked at all. It all points to the hot water not being circulated through the heater matrix, valve seized or cable broken, or blockage.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Soo... Before me and the wife set out to do the weekly food shop tonight I thort I'd run the engine for 10mins with the rad cap off with the blowers on full and heat on full. Turns out it's started to work so must have been trapped air in the cooling system

So today for some reason the ep3 has now got a new problem and being bloody cold and wet it does not help. So topped up the coolant today via the rad cap and now the heater only blows cold air! Iv done a 150mile run and no change.
I also gave the engine and bay a clean with gunk foam I protected as many electrical connections as possible. The car is not overheating the fan kicks in fine and car runs without fault.

has anyone got any ideas as to the problem?

Did you top up coolant quite a bit or less

I had drained the old coolant and filled it up with fresh coolant via the rad, I ran the engine till warmed up with the rad cap off once the fan started i put the rad cap back on. This was done at the weekend just gone, but I thort last night it might be worth while just doing it again. And hey presto.... :)

I had drained the old coolant and filled it up with fresh coolant via the rad, I ran the engine till warmed up with the rad cap off once the fan started i put the rad cap back on. This was done at the weekend just gone, but I thort last night it might be worth while just doing it again. And hey presto.... :)

when you said you topped up coolant via rad and no hot air coming out bit confusing just by topping up coolant

I recently done coolant flush on mine
Drained old coolant out filled it up with distilled water and run the engine till fan kicks in and then flush it out, done this twice
Put fresh coolant in and burp the air out
the best way for this is car up in the air on axle and squeeze upper rad hose and below hose that way it takes all air out

Another old trick is to have the front end jacked up or on a slope so the radiator is higher. Used to work on some old Peugeot cars that were a nightmare to bleed. Most new vehicle are meant to be filled via a vacuum sucking the coolant in.

Another old trick is to have the front end jacked up or on a slope so the radiator is higher. Used to work on some old Peugeot cars that were a nightmare to bleed. Most new vehicle are meant to be filled via a vacuum sucking the coolant in.

Yeah I use this method too as sometimes air locks in the heater matrix can be a bugger to shift!

Mine is doing this now, changed thermostat for piece of mind, when I replaced the coolant and bled the system the rad fan never came on and the car is blowing luke warm air out the vents... So annoying as I'm certain all the air was out the system. One heater matrix hose was red hot the other cold so I took them off and stuck the hose down there.. Some water came out but it was more of a trickle than proper flow. So to summarise

No rad fans but come on when the fan switch plug is bridged
No temp gauge working (never has since I bought the car)
Luke warm air out the vents

Tearing my hair out with what else to do besides replace the fan switch and fit a new heater matrix (which I want to avoid)

Any help would be awesome

Many thanks
Dan

Back