• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

No Vtec

:shock: :shock: Been driving for a good 5-10mins tonight and thought id bring the Vtec in in 2nd, but it just seemed to go flat :oops: very dissappointed and thought something was drastically wrong :smt022 i tried it again on the next road i could find to open it up and it was fine :D :D was so releaved.
Has this ever happened to anyone? Maybe it wasnt warmed up enough? :idea:

It won't vtec if the coolant isn't upto temperature or if the oil level is low, so check your oil asap.

Neily03 said:
It won't vtec if the coolant isn't upto temperature

How does that work then mate? VTEC works via oil pressure. Its the oil that needs to be warmed up not the water. I think I know what your saying - in that the water temp gauge is a guide to how warm the engine block is, but say water temp could mislead other owners I think...

Plus, why would anyone want to 8k there motor on cold oil? :?

kingy said:
Neily03 said:
It won't vtec if the coolant isn't upto temperature

How does that work then mate? VTEC works via oil pressure. Its the oil that needs to be warmed up not the water. I think I know what your saying - in that the water temp gauge is a guide to how warm the engine block is, but say water temp could mislead other owners I think...

Plus, why would anyone want to 8k there motor on cold oil? :?

Thats just the way it works, thats why you should always wait a bit longer after the coolant gauge hits normal. The ECU won't allow VTEC until coolant temp has passed a certain point, but oil takes longer to heat up than the coolant. Its the way Honda made 'em so don't shoot the messenger. :wink: :p

cheers, ill get my oil checked straight away and suppose ill just have to leave it a bit longer before i use the Vtec :?

GAZ-R said:
cheers, ill get my oil checked straight away and suppose ill just have to leave it a bit longer before i use the Vtec :?

yea...as Neily said...just leave it 10 mins or so.....the RPM will be linear through to the limiter on a cold engine...no VTEC at all...

My guess it has nothing to do with the oil as you said that it VTEC'd later on....but still keep checking it though. :wink:

Neily03 said:
[ Its the way Honda made 'em so don't shoot the messenger. :wink: :p

Fair enough mate, just never heard about the ECU limiting VTEC due to water temp thats all ;)

kingy said:
Neily03 said:
[ Its the way Honda made 'em so don't shoot the messenger. :wink: :p

Fair enough mate, just never heard about the ECU limiting VTEC due to water temp thats all ;)

I don't think it does on the 'old skool' VTEC's, like yours. It rely's more on the engine temp, oil pressure, engine speed etc. to fathom out when the engine's VTEC worthy! :D

Where as the i-VTEC's makes use of the parameters like throttle position, engine speed, engine temp etc. to control both the lift and the VTC.

Although I can't see why Honda would need to remove VTEC when coolant isn't 'up to temp'...In it's very nature coolant is best, well, cool!

I am not sure whether the ability to Vtec is based upon coolant temperature (as well as other stuff), but if it is - it would make perfect sense. Coolant temp is directly linked to overall engine temp and it would be very simple for the action of the control solenoid to be linked to this temp via the ecu.

Back