• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Noise from pulley alternator area at 3krpm

I recently put a thread up about this in another section still haven't got any idea what's wrong. When I start car from cold and revs go up I can hear like a whine near alternator at idle and moving. When cars warm after 10-15 mins noise goes. Mechanic said its either alternator bearing or the pulley idler could someone help as its annoying and I want to be sure before I get work done cheers.

Those bearings do go, it's probably the tension of the belt that's keep it together. TGM pulled mine for replacement and it just disintergrated. Don't think they're that expensive - £40 something like that?

Those bearings do go, it's probably the tension of the belt that's keep it together. TGM pulled mine for replacement and it just disintergrated. Don't think they're that expensive - £40 something like that?

Thanks for getting back mate. The guy at Honda said there's two pulleys near alternator that can make that noise and which bearings did you replace mate the ones for alternator??? I'm thinking bout changing the whole belt and idler pulley or will this just waste my money and not fix it????

I think it was the top most one. Easy way to work it out, spray one with WD40. It'll stop it for a bit and then come back when the WD has worn off. :)

I think it was the top most one. Easy way to work it out, spray one with WD40. It'll stop it for a bit and then come back when the WD has worn off. :)

I sprayed some 3 in 1 silicone grease on top idler an one below that an also one near alternator. I even sprayed some over belt took it on motorway and the screech noise is still there at 3krpm any ideas? I'm thinking bout replacing top idler and belt will this help?

I find with these things it's better to just bite the bullet and do it all. You replace 2 out of 3 components with shiny new ones, and the old duff part will undoubtedly fail 20 minutes later.

Made this mistake replacing dash light bulbs once, did 2 but should have done them all as no sooner as I had put it back together another one went out. :lol:

Given that you've got to strip that area down to get all the old bits out and you're talking a couple of bolts you might as well do the lot. Peace of mind, one less thing to do and it looks all shiny. Win.

I find with these things it's better to just bite the bullet and do it all. You replace 2 out of 3 components with shiny new ones, and the old duff part will undoubtedly fail 20 minutes later.

Made this mistake replacing dash light bulbs once, did 2 but should have done them all as no sooner as I had put it back together another one went out. :lol:

Given that you've got to strip that area down to get all the old bits out and you're talking a couple of bolts you might as well do the lot. Peace of mind, one less thing to do and it looks all shiny. Win.

Might as well see what needs changing don't want to waste money on parts that are ok. Thanks anyway I'll let you know how I get on after the top pulley and belt has been changed.

Back