• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Noise over speed bump - what could it be?

We have quite an aggresive speed bump near my house that I have to drive over. I have noticed in the past that most times when I drive over it, I get a clunking noise. Driving over other speed bumps has been ok. However tonight, when I drove over it, there was a loud clunk. So I decided to drive over it a few time and if I take it very slow then no noise. If I take it normally, I hear a scrape or creak type noise. I looked under the car and nothing is hanging off or down.

Do you think this is pointing to the front springs or perhaps something else? Like I say, If I take it slow or other speed bumps then no noise but this speed bump at normal speed then I get the noise.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Found out what the noise is. Its my B-Pipe up at the engine end scrapping over the speed bump. The speed bump is made of concrete bricks and as the pipe bends downwards after the join and then runs along the bottom of the car towards the back, this bend down bit near the join is scrapping on the bricks. Not sure if there is something causing this part of the exhaust to hang lower than it should be but this B-Pipe was only fitted yesterday and I noticed the old stock B-Pipe also scrapped so perhaps its the nature of this aggresive speed bump. I will just have to take it slowly.

Back