• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Noise Whilst Slowing Down at slow Revs! Helppp!

Hello,

Just purchased a 2005 plate CTR, really happy with it untill started hearing a noise...

The noise is between 2-4000 revs usually, if i accelerate away in 1st only up to like 3000 revs and let go of the accelerator and clutch aswell, theres a like grinding noise. only tend to hear it in 1st and second gear always when the car is decelerating from like 3500 revs down!

Really worrying as i dont want it to get worse and do further damage.. would appreciate some help weith this matter!

Thanks Peeps!

Is it a rattle/hiss/feint drilling sound?

If so - I'm inclined to suggest that it'll be a heatshield of some sort, which isn't serious.

Or can grinding actually be felt?

Umm it sonds like.. its hard to explain, not a rattle or drilling sound.. i rung up honda they said could be a gearbox bearing?! hopefully not.. but to explain it it comes down to sounding like a grinding.. seen people posting similar kind of things.. something unusual i take it.

i have had this same noise whilst decelerating for over a year now and has never worsen'd. almost like there is grit in the oil and its being crushed between the gears but only in 1st and 2nd probably in 3rd but its to feint to hear. i've put it down to the triple syncro in 1st or 2nd rattling whilst decelerating. i can also hear it in neutral if i rev the engine the noise louden's push clutch noise mutes.

Hello,

Just purchased a 2005 plate CTR, really happy with it untill started hearing a noise...

The noise is between 2-4000 revs usually, if i accelerate away in 1st only up to like 3000 revs and let go of the accelerator and clutch aswell, theres a like grinding noise. only tend to hear it in 1st and second gear always when the car is decelerating from like 3500 revs down!

Really worrying as i dont want it to get worse and do further damage.. would appreciate some help weith this matter!

Thanks Peeps!

Plastic inlet manifold cover vibrating? It's pretty common, just take it off and go for a drive and see if the noise has gone.

I'm pretty sure its what I've got and marxx... check out this thread

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?66604-very-Slight-Grinding-Noise&goto=newpost

Check out the video on this thread, its got the noise recorded. Listen carefully
http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62267&goto=newpost

Sounds like a very common fault, possibly by redlining in 1st gear? Screwing the plastic shield on the input shaft bearing

My advice, ignore the noise. They won't fix it, and if they do it will come back

i have had this same noise whilst decelerating for over a year now and has never worsen'd. almost like there is grit in the oil and its being crushed between the gears but only in 1st and 2nd probably in 3rd but its to feint to hear. i've put it down to the triple syncro in 1st or 2nd rattling whilst decelerating. i can also hear it in neutral if i rev the engine the noise louden's push clutch noise mutes.
Mine is getting louder...i will soon open the gearbox and take a look..

Mine is getting louder...i will soon open the gearbox and take a look..

the noise fluctuates depending how hot and what distance i have just done. its not so noticeable in the mornings but when hot the noise louden's. its defiantly gear box noise rather than clutch noise, but it would have been real sweet if it was the clutch. keep us updated on your findings when splitting your box. ta marxx.

I have this noise also, sounds clutch related to me. Or crank thrust washers perhaps?

05 plate UKDM with 57k

Hi i have his noise also!!! i have had my car now for around a yr 1/2 a month ago i got a new clutch & relsease bearing fitted (ADL blue print direct from japan) with top quality gearbox oil (honda NTF 3) and this has solved the issue as it is less noisey but i had also had the clutch release bearing which was causing the noise to be louder!

05 plate with 30k

So do we think its the clutch release bearing or has the clutch got something to do with it also? I have changed my transmission oil already with no effect.

Well that whats wrong with mine even *** i can hear a faint noise coming from the same area but it isnt as bad as it was, and that was definately was due to my clutch release bearing! if you take it to honda they will say its other bearings and clutch, ive been there 10times with the same issue and they say the same thing!! but after i took it to another guy he said its the clutch release bearing. If you do change the clutch or bearing dont use the honda clutch (OEM) due to its made in spain (which means they use cheap parts) get a jap clutch or a top quality clutch fitted!!

Back