• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Nonstop rev bounce 1500-3000 only steady on start up for 5secs

Hi

i have a ep3 02 80k with

custom air filter (no name just a big piece of red metal with a 8" cone)
remap
tein coilovers
after mark back box
clifford alarm w/blackjack

The problem started after leaving the car off-road for 3 months due to the exhaust being bent in the middle (lazy i know).
Anyways finally got round to fixing it along with my anti-roll bar and sealed a few tares on my air pipe next to the throttle body. So i get my car back i live 1 min form my mechanic, engine takes a few to warm up didn't realise a problem until it was worm. Its like the cars possessed up and down 1500 to 3000 and back down. Took it for a spin assuming it just needs breaking in, yeah right. if i let my clutch out in 1st it accelerates to 10 then down to 5 and so on. when its in 6th it goes all the way to 40 down to 30 and back up I have to brake on long roads just to hold speed or else it keeps going.
corners are the worst, everyone knows that you don't coast but in this i have to clutch goes in revs shoot to 3500 then up and down round the corner.

I think i needs an exorcism (jk) any tips?

PS. there seems to be a loud suction noise near my filter like louder then usual a dyson of sorts.

any help will be appreciated thanks in advance.

Okay, you can't remap the standard ECU, so that's questionable.

Is there any dodgy splicing of the wiring loom at all?

Not that i know of but the remap is what i was told so it could be a myth. Also if the cars dead with a flat battery 4 3 month wouldent that reset the ecu?

Please watch the text speak.

It could be any number of issues to be honest, if you don't have any specific knowledge, take it to a reputable garage.

I have, they cleaned the throttle bodie no help then they surgested its the 1st o2 sensor. Could that cause the fluctuation?

You no what the eml has been on but then it turns off. but not recently only when the mechanic played with the throttle bodie but he turned it off.

sorry its a hard habit to overcome.
Are there any ideas which may cause the rev bounce so that i can tell the machanic key areas to look at. This drives me mad and also will it damage my clutch driving it???

Err, if you take it to a decent place they should know what to look for. :?

Where in the country are you.

Im in Leeds pal, I Know i mainstream mechanic could find the problem but the price would be dear. Some charge just to look at it, if i was financially stable i would just go to the dealer. I was sort of looking for a DIY hotfix due to Xmas round the corner and dutys to run but im open to all options because it does need fixing.

Okay, if you want to fully DIY it, do the following:

Check all intake pipes are on and sitting fine, make sure there is no leaks along the intake path, then pull the ECU fuse (number 6 I think) and leave it out for a minute before replacing. Obviously do this with the car off. Then put it back in. Once this is done, start the car and drive it and see if it's cured the issue. If not then hopefully the EML should come on, do the following to check it:

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?60760-Engine-management-light-on-self-diagnosis.

Which bit of your exhaust have you had fixed?

Ok so i did the DiY diagnostic (felt like james bond) but no EML so that failed.
Went to work on the throttle body stripped it down took the ICV off cleaned it with brake cleaner. Then i forgot to put the lil rubber gasket back on so i flooded the engine with anti coolant and fire started coming out my exhaust that failed.
left my keys in the car and took the battery lead off bam central locked my keys in and yet another fail.

round 2
So its dark by this time got a phone with a torch in my mouth and went back to stripping it down. I take a look inside my intake manifold and theres a green swamp not good.
Took a few old socks and shafted then down rinsed and repeated until it was near dry. fully cleaned my ICV left it in fluid for an hr put all the pieces of the puzzle back, pulled my door back got my keys and to my suprise
A HUGE CLOUD OF SMOKE OUT MY ***
But after a while my engine calmed down much better the before. it still has a rev jump though by about 500rpm but thats heaven compaird to before and it dosent auto drive to 40 anymore so RESULT!!!

How can i get rid of this last hurdle

Sounds like a right nightmare, hence I normally pay garages to do this sort of stuff. :lol:

it was a bit messed up but DIY makes you feel like a man. now im gonna have a ice cold bath, shave with a stanley knife and bench press my car.

ps whats this slight judder when accelerating sort of like a slight delay in response.

Back