• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Noobie Buyers Advise

Furthermore. How ofted are the clearences actually out. My M3 needs them checking with the service history, but in reality they rarely need doing. And certainly not every 2 years. Is the type R more suseptible? Also im assuming not doing them will just mean a slight loss of power/economy rather than anything more serious...?

Ahh yes just found another thread of yours with this info. Thanks!

Am i right in thinking only honda should be doing the valve clearences. i.e. refuse the dealer if he offers to get his own mechs to do it. Small 2nd hand car dealership?

Should valve clearences be specifically mentioned in the service sheets which come with the history of the car?

Would you avoid a car thats not been done at 32k, or just ensure it gets done / haggle point?

Furthermore. How ofted are the clearences actually out. My M3 needs them checking with the service history, but in reality they rarely need doing. And certainly not every 2 years. Is the type R more suseptible? Also im assuming not doing them will just mean a slight loss of power/economy rather than anything more serious...?

The first value clearance check is the most crucial if you think about it. It is the first time they are checked after the car left the factory and has started to bed in and loosen up a bit. However it does need doing as per the schedule.

Mine needed adjusting at 25k. They weren't massively out but who knows how much they would have been out by 50k. They might not need doing, every engine is different, but one thing is guaranteed, it is only in the service schedule because it needs checking. For example, the 1.8 check is at 62500, as that only needs checking that often. The Honda engine designers obviously think the K20 needs doing more often which is understandable on an engine that will rev over 8,000 rpm.

There is a tick box on the service schedule to say if clearances have been done.

Main thing about clearances are that if they are set wrong for a long period they can lead to excessive wear on the cams and valve train, etc.

No issues with a non-dealer doing it as long as they set them to the correct tolerances and they are done with the engine stone cold.

Hi Chaps,

Test drove one today and it was doing 4k rpm at 80 mph in 6th (on a private road ofc), is this normal. seems quite high?

Was only getting around 32 mpg at 80, and around 15.6 mpg for the rest of the test drive. Sound about right? Seems a bit thirsty?

Hi Chaps,

Test drove one today and it was doing 4k rpm at 80 mph in 6th (on a private road ofc), is this normal. seems quite high?

Was only getting around 32 mpg at 80, and around 15.6 mpg for the rest of the test drive. Sound about right? Seems a bit thirsty?

Yes it's normal. The engine revs to over 8k, so that would be 160 flat out in 6th. The ratios were set for performance not economy!

Official book figure is 31 mpg, but I can get 35-38 on a steady run even with my cams. I'm averaging about 27 mpg at the moment but never below 20 over a short distance unless I'm absolutely hooning it. Then again remapped cars do get better mpg.

Did the car have any mods on it? It might just be bad if the car has been stood for a while?

Yes the car has been stood for around 4 months with old fuel in it. Just thought i would check with you guys.

This one isnt for us (been mistreated and not full SH despite being advertised as such), onto the next!

Don't worry about the revs so much. Unless you get a loud exhaust on it you won't really notice.

VTEC comes in at 5,400 I think which is around 108 in 6th so you're still on the low cam at legal speeds.

Aye, there are plenty out there at keen prices. No need to consider one with patchy history.

Found a rear cracker, as new condition for a great price. pick it up on Sat. One LAST question i swear. Is the ipod cable retrofitable?

And recommend any places in Berkshire for service? Ascot honda perhaps? Reading?

Found a rear cracker, as new condition for a great price. pick it up on Sat. One LAST question i swear. Is the ipod cable retrofitable?

And recommend any places in Berkshire for service? Ascot honda perhaps? Reading?

IPod cable is retrofitable yes.

Need about service places, I'm a Northern Monkey! :lol:

Hi Loxy,

Couple more questions.

The car is on 14k, and is due a service. GF took it into honda and they want 360 quid. This seems very far out. I rekon it only needs oil and brake fluid (40quid). Am i right? 57 reg. What they heck will they do for 400 quid? My major service on my m3 only cost 400 quid and that included a few fixes!

Replied to your PM.

I'll post the service schedule up here as well.

Civic12500Service.jpg

One more. how do you turn off the seatbelt bong? Get in car, start car, put seatbelt on, drive off. Causes rather annoying bonging....

One more. how do you turn off the seatbelt bong? Get in car, start car, put seatbelt on, drive off. Causes rather annoying bonging....

There are 2 plugs underneath the seat, a yellow one and a blue one iirc, disconnect the yellow one.

Back