• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

not having much luck

well having taken the plunge and got shut of my 09 swift to the 54 ep3 im not having much luck...
had it checked out by grinspeed in leyland just round the corner from my house and he gave a pritty big list.

front n/s drop link hanging off not even attached....
the complete underside of the car is a rust bucket having come from the sea side..
drivers front shock is very weak
front gearbox mount cracked
rear drivers tyre has a huge egg so hums at any speed
oh and yer the input shaft bearing is shot so makes an aweful grinding sound on the overrun about 2-3k revs

good start to honda ha

anyone else have the input shaft bearing issue? do people still drive with them faulty....or any reason to not drive it.
cheers guys

Nothing worse than buying a car that hasn't been trated well in its previous life. Where did you buy it from? There have been plenty of cherished examples for sale on the forum recently.

bought it from a garage in wigan near to my gfs house.....i mean its only a few niggles but its annoying... is the input shaft bearing common? and i dont know if its worth doing all the bearings plus a clutch when i get it done.

Everything listed is easy to fix except the rust and input bearing.

Unfortunately it's going to be a major expense repairing the bearing, it's not recommended to drive as, if the bearing collapses it will contaminate the rest of the box with very hard shrapnel resulting in complete gearbox failure :(

How long have you had the car? I'd be tempted to take it back to the garage and ask them to fix it.

Especially with the rust. Money back in my opinion. Not fit for purpose and all that.

If you're going to split the box to change the input bearing then it would make sence to replace all the bearings and 1st, 2nd syncro's and all seals. Clutch also while it's apart.

£400ish in just parts, another £400+ labour. Including the rest of the work that needs doing you're going to spend near on £1600 on your new purchase.

I would as said try and get the garage to fix it or get a refund.

cheers guys, the cars on finance so cant really give it back....the rust is just surface rust on the underside. no rust on the sills or anywhere on the exterior of the bodywork..
as for the input shaft bearing he said he would speak to his mechanic monday and give me a call back...if he does it though it will obviously just be the one.
might buy a clutch kit and say fit that too. ...your opinions?
just tried to replace the drop link and wow rusted on....grinding disk will have to come out lol

cheers guys, the cars on finance so cant really give it back....the rust is just surface rust on the underside. no rust on the sills or anywhere on the exterior of the bodywork..
as for the input shaft bearing he said he would speak to his mechanic monday and give me a call back...if he does it though it will obviously just be the one.
might buy a clutch kit and say fit that too. ...your opinions?
just tried to replace the drop link and wow rusted on....grinding disk will have to come out lol

Why can't you give it back if it's in finance? Your statutory rights are not hindered because you bought on finance?

im stuck on what to do now guys.... the whole underside is surface rusted but this is not affecting the car i dont think in any way apart from cosmetic....or am i wrong?

Are you sure it's covered in rust? I have never heard of a civic to suffer from excessive rusting even from a coastal area?

Surface rust can be cleaned off and a new layer of paint and under seal applied. Very deep rusting will result in replacing panels with no real treatment. If the whole underside was to have deep rusting the car would perhaps be written off.

When was the last mot?

Take it back to the garage.

At least that's what I'd do.

Being on finance or not shouldn't make a difference.

update on this the guy i bought it from said he will warranty the gearbox bearing and yes the rust is pnly surface rust going to clean it all off and wax oil the underside....just fit my typhoon induction and i know they are probably the worst kit for the ep3 but omg the noise it makes in insane.....could set car alarms off it ha ha .....going out to vtec tonight !

Make sure the rust off the bottom is taken off properly, as what I'll suspect he will try and do to save £££ is to just wax oil over the top of it which is no good. The rust needs to be completely removed and treated, then proper underseal applied.

What about the rest of the stuff?

Good new about the bearing :)

I would use something a bit more substantial than wax oil though. Under seal/stone chip :)

well now im going to take my car to steve at grinspeed...i dont trust the garage where i bought it to do the work so he is giving me some money to put towards the cost....he says as his mechaic is cheaper hourly rate he will only give me what he would pay. seems fair...going to get all the bearings done and leave the clutch untill need be..at 60k it still feels fine .

If the gearbox is coming off you may as well get the clutch replaced which will save on labour when it does go!

At 60k it'll be on its way out soon.. You'll be amazed how good a new clutch feels.

thats what i thought but im so skint atm what with getting bits for the car and florida to pay for by july...was going to just wait but have to decide.

Back