• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

notchy gear and clutch noisep

Hi just brought a 2011 civic type r gt with 33000 miles after a week of ownership I have noticed on start up from cold I have clutch whine it goes after around 5 minutes is this normal? And lastly the gears tend to be a little notchy when cold its not to bad but as the car warms up third deals a little notchy, when driving slow it some times sort of grabs third but if you drive higher in the revs it goes in smoother, is this fairly normal or am I being fussy. Just changed the gear oil tonight for honds mtl the old oil looked filthy it does feal a bit better but third still sot of catches as it goes in sometimes, any advise would be great thanks richard

It's normal on a cold gearbox. Fresh transmission fluid would likely help.

The whine is a, "Feature." It's not going any harm and can come back if you replace the clutch etc., so it's often not worth it.

HondaHintsandTipsMar.jpg

Thanks for the reply the third gear is still notchy when warm, it goes in and never jumps out, its like it catches as it goes in on low revs when your driving steady, it goes in really smoooth at higher revs just wondered if there's a fix or just how they are many thanks

Give the gearbox oil a change. It only costs a few quid come service time. :smt023

If the gearbox 3rd gear issue was still happening, would you still get the 3rd gear synchro changed under the bulletin or is that way off now do you think?

Back