• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Notchy gears

Hey guys,

I have been reading here for a bit but only just registered.
A few months ago I got my first type R, a 2005 EP3 with just 50000 miles on the clock.
It is great fun however there is the following issue:
Sometimes when I change gears when upshifting the gearstick seems to slip out of gear before going into the next gear, this is just a split second. There is no revving or noises but it:s quite noticeably when upshifting. Ussualy from third to fourth.
Anyone have an idea what this could be?

Thanks

Hi mate,

I got my type R in August and being my first I found all gear changes very notchy and it was difficult to shift in high rev's. Mine has also done low milage now on 43,000 odd.

Change gear box oil, clutch fluid and also drive around at low speeds changing through gears which will get it nice and lubed up ( giggity).

The gearbox also performs very well when its warm I find so be patient with it. Took me a while to get use to it but now I am its fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unlikely you have any serious gearbox issues at such low millage. I've heard other people on the forum saying that new gearbox oil has worked wonders! So I'd obviously recommend that.

If you are accelerating hard,
remember not to change gear too fast. You can change gear quickly but don't be super aggressive. Also clutch control is quite important, try not to dump the clutch too hard until you are properly in gear.

I found it did take some getting used to but as you use the car more you'll find you get the 'knack' for driving these enthusiastically. New gearbox oil won't hurt though. I also find mine is better once properly warm too even with fresh oil.

The gearbox on these are notchy. You have to let the gearbox oil warm up between 10-15 mins I would suggest you change the gearbox oil with Honda mtf. My second gear is quite stiff even after oil change.

Top advice from Westcoaster99

I leave my engine running at least 20 minutes from cold start
While I'm waiting for the car to warm up I pump the clutch pedal few times and cycle the gears

Letting your engine run for 20 mins? Idle running is not necessarily a healthy thing for your engine..

I am doing a full service this weekend, including gearbox oil. So hopefully with decent results. Thanks for the pointers.

Cheers

Letting your engine run for 20 mins? Idle running is not necessarily a healthy thing for your engine..
Also I'd like to add that at 0645 I don't have 20 minutes to wait for my engine to decide it's warm enough to go this time of year lol!

If changing gearbox oil doesn't improve anything I would look at linkages/cables im getting mine checked just looking for a decent gearbox mechanic local in Birmingham.

Never ever had any issue regarding gear change, when the engine and gearbox is nice and warm then I drive off
Never ever once I drove of straight when turning the key

Never ever had any issue regarding gear change, when the engine and gearbox is nice and warm then I drive off
Never ever once I drove of straight when turning the key

Let it warm I would say max 3 mins. You can even drive straight away but just don't vtec it for at least 15 mins. Once the gearbox oil and engine oil are warm then give it some revs.

Let it warm I would say max 3 mins. You can even drive straight away but just don't vtec it for at least 15 mins. Once the gearbox oil and engine oil are warm then give it some revs.

The revs are still high within 3 minutes and still warming the engine
I never rev the engine when cold, I let it warm itself
Iv always done this and not got any issue

Lol
The Type R is no super high performance vehicle. You should be able to turn the key, hot or cold, and drive the thing. Obviously you give it a little mechanical sympathy when it's cold like not revving it high and going full throttle until it's warmed up.
If you can't change gears when it's cold. You've got an issue that needs to be fixed.

I switched out gearbox oil, looked pretty clean but smelled FOUL.
Gearchanges have been a lot better ever since.

Back