• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Now I can get what I want....

As some of you may know, we bought a Smart car for Emma the other week from ebay as a cheaper commuting wagon than the T4 which was greedy with its fuel.

Picked it up last week from Bolton or somewhere similarly Northern. Generally it was ok but we paid probably over the odds as it had moon mileage for a 600cc engine.

The guy had owned it from new so it came with a stack of receipts etc. Unfortunately he didn't seem to think that actually attempting to clean it any time in the last 5 years would have been a good thing to do, and had been transporting some kind of hairy animal in there so the innards were not the kindest place to be.

Nonetheless, it was ok and Emma absolutely loved it.

ec0774b3.jpg

Driving wise - imagine a moped attached to a child's go-kart and you are probably about there. Lots of fun, but weirdly frightening at the same time. Definitely a laugh.

Over the course of the 1 week we have had it she has adopted the ideals of owning one - cheap to run, easy to park, fun etc, but she has been hankering after a newer one ever since she started considering getting one in the first place.

So yesterday we took a trip to the Merc dealer in Liverpool for a look to see what a newer version would be like, and ended up getting one that they had in stock.

2800 miles on the clock, less than a year old and substatially cheaper than a brand new one.

Looking at one that hasn't covered over 100,000 miles, they make a lot more sense.

She wanted a convertible and a different colour so after 3 1/2 hours of negotiating with the frankly laughable salesperson and then the Dealer Principal who tried to tell me that Smart was an "add on" to their main business and not really something they worried about selling too much (even though the Smart part of the dealership had 2 full times sales staff and a huge dedicated area of the showroom) we ended up getting this little monkey.

These aren't to everyone's taste obviously, but for a cheap motor to commute in the city, they are actually pretty good. VERY very girly things though - skinhead and 6' + need not apply.

The real beauty though - once your Mrs buys one, NOTHING you want can be less practical and therefore cannot be refused from the family budget. DC2 PENDING.

0c749f3d.jpg

afcb133e.jpg

579e55a6.jpg

96efd50e.jpg

Therefore, if you want to buy what is essentially an unrequired and probably not all that practical car, ensure your Mrs gets one of these.

G, get the king foreskin one in the for sale section. he is desperate to sell and he just spent a million pounds on servicing.

re: your first smart car.

ps, those alloys on the silver one remind me of a 1980s ford, like the pepper pot half alloy half steel wheel look going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
G, get the king foreskin one in the for sale section. he is desperate to sell and he just spent a million pounds on servicing.

re: your first smart car.

ps, those alloys on the silver one remind me of a 1980s ford, like the pepper pot half alloy half steel wheel look going on.

I was perving over foreskin's Teg yesterday actually. Just not sure I can summon up the funds quick enough - was originally planning on buying end of May.

Those steels are a bit lame, but to be honest she doesn't care too much for rims (or rimming in fact) so I didn't bother trying to get a deal on some Brabus ones or anything. They do look a bit like E reg XR2 styles though.

Or the (now fashionable in the scene) MK2 Golf G60 steels that those VW types love so much.

Probably a good thing you've made the swap, those Smart engines aren't up to big mileage. I'm surprised it's made it to 100k.

My Mrs needs a Smart car.

Parking is a nightmare in London.

Can you get, say, a suitcase in the back??

This would be suitable for airport runs and would make it more practical than the S2000.

yeah suits you can get a suitcase. we get 2 6foot lads in the back of my mates one no problem.

This would be suitable for airport runs and would make it more practical than the S2000.

As per Tolner - suitcase would go in easy.

She tried to tell me I couldn't justify a DC2 the other day, after getting this. Joker.

But that was when I was poised to purchase a MK1 MR2 for buttons.

As per twitter, it looks a nice little car

Glad you're getting your DC2 you wanted, just hope i can get an Evo as quick :lol:

You can get a washing machine in the back of them :eek:, the dealership at Brooklands has one to show you how much space there is. God knows how it would move with that weight though :lol:

I was looking at Smarts about a year ago as a way of trying to keep the mileage down on the civic, went to the dealership in Cambridge and she had no cars in the showroom or in stock. She had sold out of everything because of their cheap running costs. Apparently she just couldnt get them in quick enough.

I think once our house goes though and I know how much im going to have left at the end of each month ill be venturing back into the Smart showroom.

You can get a washing machine in the back of them :eek:, the dealership at Brooklands has one to show you how much space there is. God knows how it would move with that weight though :lol:

I was looking at Smarts about a year ago as a way of trying to keep the mileage down on the civic, went to the dealership in Cambridge and she had no cars in the showroom or in stock. She had sold out of everything because of their cheap running costs. Apparently she just couldnt get them in quick enough.

I think once our house goes though and I know how much I'm going to have left at the end of each month ill be venturing back into the Smart showroom.

They are weirdly likable things.

I fancy a go in one of the Brabus Roadsters myself. But I don't want to end up buying one.

I've never dealt with such a laid back dealer as the sales person there - they said that most people who come in the showroom say either "tell me about a Smart" or "I want to buy a Smart car" with hardly anyone who goes in there not buying anything.

The other side of that though was that they said some weeks they literally sell zero, and other weeks they can get 10 out, they just have to roll with whatever happens.

Back