• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 DB8 DC5 Number plate query.

I currently have a square front number plate as most of the DC5's come with as standard. I'm looking to relocate the number plate to the offside (drivers side) part of the front bumper just below the headlight. I've chosen this position because not only will it look better IMO, it will also cover a chip in my bumper which is slowly peeling the paint off when it gets wet.

The plate I'm going to use will be legal and will meet BS AU 145d regulations, however I can't find anything relating to where you can legally put a plate on the front. I know that some cars (Alfa's) have offset plates, but most offset plates I've seen so far are offset on the nearside. Does it matter which side the plate goes, as long as it's visible from the front?

TIA.

Found this on another forum,

Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date
6. - (1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed -

(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4).

(4) The diagonal length of the relevant area is -

(a) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

(c) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.

(5) In the case of a motor cycle or a motor tricycle which does not have a body of a type which is characteristic of the body of a four-wheeled vehicle -

(a) a registration plate must not be fixed on the front of a vehicle if it was first registered on or after 1st September 2001,

(b) a plate need not be fixed on the front of the vehicle if it was first registered before 1st September 2001.

Fixing of registration plates: vehicles registered before the relevant date
7. - (1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered before the relevant date.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (4), a registration plate must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (3) on -

(a) the front of the vehicle, and

(b) the rear of -

(i) the vehicle or,

(ii) where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer or,

(iii) where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer.

(3) This paragraph requires each plate to be fixed -

(a) in a vertical position or, where that is not possible, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable, in the case of a plate fixed on the front of the vehicle, from in front of the vehicle and, in the case of a plate fixed on the rear of the vehicle or trailer, from behind the vehicle or trailer.

(4) In the case of a motor cycle and a motor tricycle which does not have a body of a type which is characteristic of the body of a four-wheeled vehicle, a registration plate need not be fixed on the front of the vehicle

So basically, as long as it's visible from the front, it doesn't matter which side it's on?

I want mine on the drivers side though.

Cant say i can think of any cars that have it that side but i cant see why it wont be legal? Its displayed and clearly visable. Think it comes down to the copper and if he had a bit that morning.

Only problem i can see with having it on the drivers side is that when a copper passes you on the other side of the road its at the furthest point away from him if he was trying to see it.

But if it doesnt say in the rules....

Only problem i can see with having it on the drivers side is that when a copper passes you on the other side of the road its at the furthest point away from him if he was trying to see it.

But if it doesnt say in the rules....

I might sound a bit thick here, but surely it'll be on the closest point?

I might sound a bit thick here, but surely it'll be on the closest point?

Chris is spot on as usual. Only problem would be for a copper on the side of the road with a gun. With the number height I'm going for, it has to be visible at 18 meters at a diagonal angle. I've done a fair bit of research since and can't find anything dictating whereabouts you plate is at the front, as long as it's visible.

Back