• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Occasional Grey/Black Smoke when under heavy load...

Hi all,

On the way back from work recently a colleague of mine said that my car was smoking a fair bit (grey - black smoke, engine was cold, no vtec was engaged, revved to 4k max). And later on nearing home (when the car was warmed up) he said that it was very sooty when I hit vtec and changed gear (puff of smoke when I changed).

I even have a dark almost like a burn on my rear bumper above the exhaust! :confused:

The car is over due a service (by a couple of hundred miles) so I'm hoping that when this is completed it should help (gruppe M air filter cleaned, oil, oil filter, plugs, fuel filter, pollen filter etc)...

It doesn't seem to be doing this constantly... if I drive it hard for a few minutes (for the first time in a while) then drive it hard again it doesn't do it so perhaps it's just clearing "cobwebs" out of the exhaust!?

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

several n/a petrol civics at santa pod this weekend were getting grey/black smoke, it was all just fuel

Hi all,

On the way back from work recently a colleague of mine said that my car was smoking a fair bit (grey - black smoke, engine was cold, no vtec was engaged, revved to 4k max). And later on nearing home (when the car was warmed up) he said that it was very sooty when I hit vtec and changed gear (puff of smoke when I changed).

I even have a dark almost like a burn on my rear bumper above the exhaust! :confused:

The car is over due a service (by a couple of hundred miles) so I'm hoping that when this is completed it should help (gruppe M air filter cleaned, oil, oil filter, plugs, fuel filter, pollen filter etc)...

It doesn't seem to be doing this constantly... if I drive it hard for a few minutes (for the first time in a while) then drive it hard again it doesn't do it so perhaps it's just clearing "cobwebs" out of the exhaust!?

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Probably with decat? That's why? Is this the first time you have noticed this? I've seen civic with de-cat smoked like a diesel especially on VTEC but I'm not sure if every car is like this.

Cleaning cobwebs, this is possible if you have left your car hanging for a long time.

Its running rich. My Civic does it, especially when I had the Supercharger it was really bad. It looked like a Diesel. maybe a Re-Map will sort it, as it did with mine, just 3% less fuel at the top end sorted mine out.

What Tom said.

Mine did too when it was charged.

White smoke is water, blue is oil, black is fuel.

Back