• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Odd whirring noise

When the car is idling, there's a faint whirring noise that disappears when I press the clutch pedal in. Car doesn't seem to have any obvious problems and had a new clutch last year. Any ideas?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the clutch release bearing if the noise goes away when you press down the clutch pedal.

Cheers lads. Is it a big job? It's only very faint but if you're listening for it, you can make it out.

I've just done a bit of Googling and found something that says the release bearing would only make a noise when I pressed the clutch in (this is when the noise stops) and it's maybe the "input shaft bearing".

The google search you did was wrong. It's the clutch release bearing.

If it's not that loud then don't worry about it. How many miles has the car/clutch done?

The tone of the engine noise changes when I press the clutch in. Not a different noise, as such but a deeper "tone"

What clutch was fitted?

Was it a OEM Honda one with OEM release bearing?

I can't remember exactly why, but this same issue has cropped up with Exedy clutches before. I think it may be to do with not using a Honda release bearing.

I don't want to be patronising, but the type-Rs are noisy cars; the note of my exhaust and gearbox changes when I push the clutch in (much as it does when the A/C pump operates), though I do have a noisy exhaust that amplifies everything.

Has the noise started recently? have you changed anything else?

I can't remember exactly why, but this same issue has cropped up with Exedy clutches before. I think it may be to do with not using a Honda release bearing.

I've heard that. I fitted a new Honda bearing with my last Exedy stage 1.

I would be surprised if the clutch was replaced without replacing the bearing. New bearing doesn't necessarily mean good bearing....

No you misunderstood what Chris and I are saying. You'd always replace the release bearing, it would be foolish not to, but you get an Exedy part release bearing in the Exedy kit, and some people think this is inferior so get a Honda bearing and don't use the Exedy one.

I've no basis for this having never having experienced any clutch release bearing issues myself, just what I've read in the past.

Ah right, that makes sense.

I too haven't had bearing issues on my Honda (touch wood!). If I were in the position of replacing the clutch I'd always go for the Honda parts, there's a good reason why Honda are famed for reliability.

I don't want to be patronising, but the type-Rs are noisy cars; the note of my exhaust and gearbox changes when I push the clutch in (much as it does when the A/C pump operates), though I do have a noisy exhaust that amplifies everything.

Has the noise started recently? have you changed anything else?

Don't worry about it mate, you're trying to help and it's appreciated. I have no idea when the noise started, my mate pointed it out a couple of weeks ago.

If it is either of the bearings, will it do any harm leaving it until it gets worse (if it does)?

Back