• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

OEM plugs tutorial (looms, fans, foglights, ICE, gauges etc)

(mods feel free to sticky this!)

Okay guys I thought I'd write a quick guide to some pro wiring plugs that you can DIY to an OEM standard . This is ideal for engine bay wiring, interior mods wiring (eg gauges) and ICE wiring. Here I'll be showing you how to make an OEM style plug for a parcel shelf containing 6x9s.

Ok so here we have some 6x9's mounted in my Type-R parcel shelf
IMAG1226_zps56ff60bd.jpg

I've soldered the wires onto the speakers for security
IMAG1230_zps82962acb.jpg

The problem is, when the shelf is removed, the wiring needs to be split somewhere between the amp and the speaker. If you're a pikey you'll just use spade connectors which work loose after a while and never really come close to being a proper job.

So, take your wiring and strip about 5mm off the end, to suit your new terminals
DSC01948_zps10dc6111.jpg

DSC01949_zpsbf52b3b2.jpg

This is an ideal tool to have, costs about £60 from Vehicle Wiring Products but it takes care of all the crimping side of things
DSC01968_zpsc4d6d8c0.jpg

Slide the rubber grommet over the ends of the wires, so it just sits level with the end of the insulation
IMAG1311_zps45e66970.jpg

Here's the terminal we are going to be using, sit the rubber grommet inside the larger clamps and the exposed copper wire in the smaller ones
DSC01956_zpsd31f6780.jpg

Then just slide it into the crimping tool
DSC01954_zpsf8a53554.jpg

This tool has a ratchet action, so you'll never release it until it's properly done, like this!
DSC01960_zpse17636aa.jpg

The crimped terminals will then simply click into the plugs we are using
DSC01947_zpsa15d105b.jpg

The long (male) terminals go into the longer half of the plug

The shorter (female) terminals go into the shorter half of the plug

Make sure the wires correspond on both sides of the plug - eg you're not feeding positive into one side that runs into an earth wire on the other!
DSC01962_zps66595b18.jpg

And here we have one factory-quality plug. You can really pull on the terminals and they will not come loose! It's also said to be waterproof, which is ideal if you're doing this wiring for a slimline fan or foglights.
DSC01966_zps7bd9fa7d.jpg

I've even used these in my Porsche to connect non-factory wiring to a factory plug, so you can make mods plug n play AND fully reversible without needing to cut wires.

This link is useful for the tools, terminals and plugs you will need. They are well worth a visit in person too as they are very helpful chaps indeed
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

I hope this is helpful to you all.

Back