• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

OEM Sat Nav Disc Reading Error

Hi,

I have a 2004 EP3 with a genuine Honda sat nav unit, I believe the same unit is fitted to the CRV and perhaps other Honda's (Alpine?)

It's coming up with a disc reading error and I wondered if anyone know how I can resolve this?

It's inconsistent, I'd say 80% of the time it wont read the disc, 20% of the time it will.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi everyone.After lurking here for a good while, this thread prompted me to post.

I had the disk error on both a CRV and Type S I owned. If it's not a scratched disk or laser failing, then as suggested above it's probably dirt on the lens.

The best solution I found was after removing the disk, to soak a thin handkerchief in lens cleaning solution, wrap it (single wrap) round a thin ruler and gently move it side to side after inserting, making sure to have a tight hold on the handkerchief. This seemed to work for a few months but the problem would eventually return and I needed to repeat.

I also tried a factory reset but that didn't work, might for some though. This was the instruction:

1. Start the engine.
2. error message appears on screen with old disc inserted.
3. Push 'MENU' and 'ZOOM DOWN' switches simultaneously for 2 seconds.
4. Screen turns to SYSTEM LINK page with a fanfare.
5. Press 'NEXT' switch (opens car staus page).
6. Press 'NEXT' switch (opens yaw rate page).
7. Press 'NEXT' switch (opens diagnosis menu page).
8. Select 'UNIT CHECK'.
9. Select 'FORCE DOWN LOAD'.
System will now start to download the old operating system firmware from the old disc, showing progress on a green bar gauge.
When finished the unit should be able to be started normally.

Back