• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Oh the clock is ticking down.....

....until I pick up my FN2!

Having had nearly every type of older Type R and dozens of other cars over the last few years I have finally decided to plump for an FN2 GT in DBP. Been trawling through Pistonheads and Autotrader daily for the last 4 months, and finally settled.

Cannee wait! A bit apprehensive having basically done the deal provisionally over the phone as I live on a rock in the middle of the Irish Sea. Did make it clear to him though that I know Hondas inside out so there's no point in telling porkies in describing it, otherwise he'll be landed with a stroppy 6ft 4 Manxman far away from home. In fairness I'm confident he is a genuine nice guy, and if he's not then I'll just have to chop him up and throw him off the side of the ferry.

Joking of course. I'd just throw him in the local canal. Or sell him to the Germans to eat, they seem to like that sort of thing.

Flying to Brum next Wednesday then getting the train to Telford where the dude lives, then if all is well I shall be driving it straight back up to Liverpool, onto the ferry then home and tuck it up in bed for the night.

Slightly annoying as it has nearly a full years tax and MOT, so in theory I could ride around in it over here until next April, before putting it through the Manx test and getting it on Manx plates and tax.... but I've got my own number to put on it as usual, so I'll probably bite the bullet as it won't feel like it's mine until it's on Manx plates.

Lots of things planned for this baby though, so I'll keep you posted!

Good stuff!

Here's hoping it is as described! :D

Oh, and mandatory pics as soon as you get it home! ;) :lol:

So then...... it's home!

Car was exactly as described, and feels looks like a new car to me. Since I've been back on the rock, all it's done is rain, so I haven't taken any pics apart from the grainy ones in the dark from the night I brought her home, I won't bother straining your eyes with those, but I'll get some taken over le weekend.

Although we don't have an annual test over here like your MOT, to register my car locally I have to put it through it's test, which is exactly the same as an MOT. Anyone know if differing tread patterns on the same axle will cause a fail usually? The rear has a Bridgestone and some kind of horrendous budget tyre, which appears to be constructed entirely out of cheese & bus tickets and is annoyingly brand new.

First thing I want to do is get an FRS done on it - is there anywhere that sells Eibach -15mm springs along with the camber bolts and shims as a pack or similar? I'll have to sort out the alignment locally.

On the mainland it's not a failure for the two different tyres as long as they are in good condition and have legal tread. Not ideal though is it!

Most places will send you out the springs and camber bolts. The only funky thing with the FN2 is that you need shims to adjust camber on the rear because of the torsion beam, and as until you get them on you don't really know how much they will have added it can need one or sometimes two on each side.

Give TDi-North in Warrington or ABP in Crewe a ring and see what they say.

You could just setup the front but in my opinion that's just wrong. I mean why would you correct the front and leave the rear as an unknown. :confused:

Cheers Loxy. I was hoping that's the case, think it will be the same here. I don't like having mismatched tyres, but all I need to do in the interim is get it through its test.

No I'll definitely be doing front and rear FRS, if it's as noticeable a difference as everyone says I'll be very happy. I'll be fitting it all myself (I have a 2 post lift up at my mates farm) and then just getting the garage to do the 4 wheel alignments. I'll have to gamble on potentially having to re-do the rear with more or less shims again, but with the lack of knowledgable and reliable garages over here I like to keep third party involvements to a minimum - at least I know it's done right then, and my time is free of course hehe.

Back