• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

oil help!

i have made a massive blunder and ordered 5l 5-40w oil from opie oils a while ago. i didnt open the box as i was not planning on changing my oil for a few months after buying.
well i have just dumped the old oil and put on a new hamp filter only to find out that opie oils have sent me the wrong oil its 10-50w:confused:.
will this oil be ok or will i have to go to halfords?
am spewing.

I would go to a shell garage buy some 5W40 helix ultra and return the 10w50 personally.

cheers nick, gona chuck it in and order more from opie oil now.
should be ok to drive a couple o hundred miles tommorow with it eh? as long as i don't thrash it.
am a total muppet for not checking it when i ordered.

TGM use there big barrel of 10/60 normally.

I used to your 5/40 , but have switched to 10/50 this summer ;)

From the owners manual:
Dsc01938.jpg

You should be fine mate, but you get what you pay for!! :smt023

I don't think you'll be driving in less than -20C any time soon!

cheers for replying guys
just back from the footy and a 150mile round trip.
the oil i have in it is silkolene pro s 10w50. every thing is ok so far.
i will be ordering some more pro s 5w40 tonight as opie oils have a discount on this weekend.
i assume the 10w50 is thicker than 5w40 but its still a race oil so how will it perform at high revs compared to 5w40?
when i recieve the new stuff should i put it straight in or save £45 and change in 6000miles

Taken from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

wikipedia said:
Multi-grade
The temperature range the oil is exposed to in most vehicles can be wide, ranging from cold ambient temperatures in the winter before the vehicle is started up to hot operating temperatures when the vehicle is fully warmed up in hot summer weather. A specific oil will have high viscosity when cold and a low viscosity at the engine's operating temperature. The difference in viscosities for any single-grade oil is too large between the extremes of temperature. To bring the difference in viscosities closer together, special polymer additives called viscosity index improvers, or VIIs are added to the oil. These additives make the oil a multi-grade motor oil. The idea is to cause the multi-grade oil to have the viscosity of the base number when cold and the viscosity of second number when hot. This enables one type of oil to be generally used all year, and when multi-grades were initially developed, they were frequently described as all-season oil. The viscosity of a multi-grade oil still varies logarithmically with temperature, but the slope representing the change is lessened. This slope representing the change with temperature depends on the nature and amount of the additives to the base oil.
The SAE designation for multi-grade oils includes two grade numbers; for example, 10W-30 designates a common multi-grade oil. Historically, the first number associated with the W (again 'W' is for Winter, not Weight) is not rated at any single temperature. The "10W" means that this oil can be pumped by your engine as well as a single-grade SAE 10 oil can be pumped. "5W" can be pumped at a lower temperature than "10W" and "0W" can be pumped at a lower temperature than "5W". The second number, 30, means that the viscosity of this multi-grade oil at 100°C (212°F) operating temperature corresponds to the viscosity of a single-grade 30 oil at same temperature. The governing SAE standard is called SAE J300. This "classic" method of defining the "W" rating has since been replaced with a more technical test where a "cold crank simulator" is used at increasingly lowered temps. A 0W oil is tested at −35 °C (−31 °F), a 5W at −30 °C (−22 °F) and a 10W is tested at −25 °C (−13 °F). The real-world ability of an oil to crank in the cold is diminished soon after put into service. The motor oil grade and viscosity to be used in a given vehicle is specified by the manufacturer of the vehicle (although some modern European cars now make no viscosity requirement), but can vary from country to country when climatic or mpg constraints come into play.

I'd say you'll be OK to run it on that for 6k unless you plan to do some artic driving. It's getting warmer now so you shouldn't experience any problems.

10W 40 won't do any harm to your engine mate, a lot of garages use it. The worse thing you can do is have no oil in your engine.

Back