• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil leak at rear of engine (with photos)?

As above, noticed this the other day when I was sorting the exhaust. It's not a biggie, but seems to be coming from this area. I cleaned it up with the idea that I might see where it's coming from, but looks to be around this sensor. Is it a common one? Also could it be anything else more serious (please say no lol)? :confused:

Here are the photos:

RearofEngine01_zps587792dc.jpg

RearofEngine02_zps9a90f75c.jpg

The oil residue looks like its been there for a bit, have you noticed if its dripped on the floor? it could be left over from an oil change, spilt oil from above etc.

I'd worry if its dripped on the floor but if its hasn't, then clean it up and recheck after a few days.

The oil residue looks like its been there for a bit, have you noticed if its dripped on the floor? it could be left over from an oil change, spilt oil from above etc.

I'd worry if its dripped on the floor but if its hasn't, then clean it up and recheck after a few days.

Cheers pal. It had dripped down to the sump a bit but wasn't dripping onto the floor. I cleaned it up and am keeping an eye to see where it's coming from. Car isn't losing oil or anything from what I can see.

Possibility there was an oil filter put on too loose or cross threaded and the pressure sprayed some oil out?

Had another look today. Don't think it's the oil filter. There's a few fresh drops seeping out though down into the bottom of the sump. Think it may be that grey sensor plugged into the rear of the engine. What is that for?

Back