• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil light flickering at idle

Hello,

Here is my problem.

I changed the timing chain and tensioner and about 2/3 weeks later the oil light started to flicker on idle when warm. I changed the sensor but didn’t fix it. I replaced the oil pump and it’s still the same. I fitted an external oil pressure gauge to test the pressure all the time. This showed that I had 30psi on idle when cold but when warmed up the oil pressure drops to about 1-2 psi. On normal driving it appeared to have oil pressure in the high revs and vtec worked fine. I done some research and fingers were pointing to the crank shell Clearances. So I replaced them with the standard ones after inspecting the crank and seeing theirs no damage/scoring. Part of the top layer of the shells had worn slightly but nothing major. Done all this and it’s still the same. (Banging head against the wall) now I thought bugger it pull the motor out and have a good inspection. My thoughts were that maybe some sealent from the timing chain when I was scraping the old stuff off had fallen into the oil and maybe blocked a gallery or something. But it seems ok. Now it’s completely stripped the only problem I found along the way was, the tensioner had come loose. the cam cover had stopped the bolts coming out any further. Now I was wondering if this could have effected the oil pressure problem?
Or if you think something else maybe the problem?

Thanks

The tensioner relies on oil pressure, if the tensioner isn’t sealed onto the block, the oil pressure for the tensioner will escape. I suspect this was probably the cause.

The tensioner relies on oil pressure, if the tensioner isn’t sealed onto the block, the oil pressure for the tensioner will escape. I suspect this was probably the cause.

Hi,
Yes this is what I thought. If it were to escape then would the oil pressure suffer else where? i.e the oil pressure sensor not getting the pressure it should.

Back