• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil pressure low when starting? Hissing noise by alternator when engine when stopped?

Hi all, had my fn2 for about 2 months now and have recently noticed this week that when I start it up the oil pressure gauge is at the bottom for about 5 minutes and gradually makes its way up to about half way. Also taking it for a short journey today I got back and could feel a large amount of heat coming out of the grill, so I popped the bonnet and could feel a lot of heat coming from by the alternator and a strange hissing noise. Does anyone know what this may be and if the problems are possibly connected? Thanks

My oil pressure is up at about 6 bar right from start-up. If it's not your pressure sensor playing up, I wouldn't be driving the car to be honest. You do have an oil pressure gauge fitted I'm assuming? They don't have them as standard.

I know it's a cliche but have you checked the oil level?

Hard to tell what the hissing noise is would be. The alternator is on a belt, so it's not the belt or alternator bearing is it?

If its the gauge on the left hand side pretty much the same as the petrol gauge then its temperature not pressure in which case it's not a problem. I just assumed it was the pressure, it is full on oil and coolant i've checked. As far as the bearing Loxy it might be, or maybe it is just the warm temperature that is making it hot after I turn it off so its oil cooling down or something in that area i'm not sure. Thanks for the replies.

Back