• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Oil reading on the dip stick tips and tricks

Alright peeps!

As the title says, does anyone have any tips or tricks on reading the oil on the dipstick. (Jokes to the minimum please) :D

basically, I went out today to check my levels as I do religiously every week, allowed the engine too cool and the oil to filter back down for sump for 10 mins or so after a long drive out today.

After burning my hand on my bonnet and engine and cursing several times, it's like nearly 30' here today, I tried to read the dipstick levels, but the oil being so clear, I could barely read it, only saw some on the lower hole and that was it. I checked it last week and it was fine, surely I haven't used THAT much oil in a week?

so I'm just wondering if anyone has any simpler way of reading it before I throw myself in a panic and fill it up. :confused:

I've always done it when stone cold in the morning. Never had any issues in ten years of Type R driving.

What oil are you using ?

Ah ok cool, I've just read on this forum and other civic forums that it should be done when warm. But if it's been good for you for 10 years of type R ownerships.

Im using Fuchs Titan pro 5w40 I believe it is. Was changed only a couple of months ago. Always been quite clear, but never this problem reading it today.

Haha thanks walkden. If I looked any closer I'd be putting it in my eye. But guess that'll work.
If the eye stings, there's oil on it. :lol:

As Dotty said I've always checked my oil when the engine is stone cold on all my cars and I have never had any issues.

Should be checked when hot.
Allow to cool/drain for a few minutes.

Tomato/tomato

I check when cold and want it just a smidge under max mark. Check when warm after about 15 mins of driving I want it to be a smidge over max.

I've checked it again tonight, when the engine was left to be cooler, it was just under the max mark. So guessing, when it's warm, it'll be at the perfect level?

Another obvious tip... do it on a level surface! You'd be surprised what difference a road camber will make

I have checked various cars when hot and cold, and the difference is normally minimal.

EP3 years ago and FN2 I have now seem to show a touch more on the dipstick when hot, but it is more messy and harder to read where the level sits, so mostly check cold now.

TIP - use some paper towel and when you remove the dipstick press them together. The oil will touch the paper and then compare that to min and max levels.

Back