• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

oil top up for k20 civic type r

Oil level is ok but its closer to min level than max so I'm looking to top up until I get serviced next month. I seen castrol edge 5w 40 fuilly synthetic in asda( 10 pound for top up bottle) is this good enough to use? Not sure what oil was used last as I've only purchased it a month ago. Does it matter?

Should be fine for a top up as long as it isn't the 5w40 Diesel oil. The only 5w40 Castrol Edge I can see on Halfrauds website is the diesel variant. :confused:

It won't do your engine any good at all if you let it get low on oil though, so be safe and get it topped up sharpish. :smt023

Its still above the min hole but I have been told so many times that these engines are only bullet proof as long as you keep oil fresh plus last thing you want is the vtec not to engage:)

Car has only 45K with full history (serviced every 5-6k miles) so I want to keep it in prestine condition

I'll get her topped up to near max asap!

Another question, I only do about 15 miles a day (to work and back). I've heard this is hard on engine and would require more regular oil changes. Is this true?

An off topic question while I have it on my mind, my type r feels very torquey ( as torquey as my old 172 cup clio ) Is this true of all K20's or would the dc5 gearbox have anything to do with it?

Cheers

As Loxy states, make sure it's petrol engine oil you use.

That distance will be fine, engine will be fully warmed up at around 10 miles. Honda say oil change every 12,500 miles I think, but a lot of people on here will change the oil at 6000.

As for the torque, the K20 is a torquey lump for an NA engine, as I'm fairly sure it has more than a 172, and the DC5 gearbox has nigh on the same ratio's so won't make a difference.

Torque? What torque.

15 miles a day won't do you no harm, that's enough to get the engine upto proper temperature.

K20's use quite a lot of oil, I'm forever topping it up. I use magnetic fully synthetic 5w-30 btw :).

If you can make it to Japfest griff, Opie oils are doing some discounts on oils if you preorder

Went ahead and bought castrol edge 5w 40 fully synthetic (10 pound asda) however it doesn't say petrol or diesel, I take it its for petrol as it would say turbo diesel otherwise, nearly 100 percent its fine but want to double check

did you buy this one?

IMG_0297.jpg

silkolene pro s 5w40 now known as fuchs titan race pro r 5w40 is what i have used for over 3 years and my engine hardly uses a drop of oil.

I normally get the Mobil 1 0w 40 fully synth from Costco. I prefer that to Castrol or should I swap? 0w 40 is still within the recommended oils as far as I'm aware.

Back