• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Old model low miles or new model high miles?

DB

Im after my first CTR and have a budget of around £5000, if it was you in this sitituation would you be looking an older prefacelift model with low miles and full service history within my budget or low for a 05/06 model with higher miles and full service history?

Just trying to do my research before going to look at some cars, im not to fussy on the colour just silver dosnt excite me however.

my view which is still very limited on honda engines, but if they are looked after thats the important thing. not using high revs or making the engine work hard when its cold etc etc

i chose a 2005 54 plate facelift as i prefer the look, it has 72k on the clock and was a chunk under your budget. it needs a service, tax and a couple of tyres in a few months but thats normal running cost and means i can get what i want fitted

I like the facelift and even more so the premier, if i was to save until after summer i could afford the premier but then again it will have high miles. Im hoping to do some mods to the car and hold onto it for a good few years so im inclined to keep saving so i can get a facelift with between 40-50k on the clock. Would like to look out on the forums for a CTR which has been well looked after so im in no rush yet.

The main problem with buying a high millage model especially if you intend to keep it for a while is - The millage you will have to sell it on. Say you bought one on 75k, thats a normal millage for a 2005 model. Say you keep it for two and a half years and put 25k more miles on it, suddenly you have a 100k millage type r. For me personally i wouldn't wanna buy a hot hatch with that millage. So re sale might be a hinderance.

mine is an 04 facelift and when i bought it (Feb last year), it had around 108k on it, it is used daily with plenty of 'enthusiastic' driving thrown in, i have put nearly 30k miles on it already and not had a problem.
personally i wouldn't be put off with high mileage on these as long as it has been looked after.

As jord has pointed out its the resale im worried about when trying to sell a CTR with over 100k on the clock. I will keep looking on the forums and pistonheads for a good clean example to come up with low miles and full service history and hopefully it ill be in my budget.

I think im best waiting a few months so i have just over 6k to spend. And hope to pick up one like this

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...501/keywords/type_r/postcode/dl79nj?logcode=p

Ive only planned to do a few sutble mods like lowered, front and rear strut, new tyres,wind deflectors, mugen spolier. Cant wait to get one, but just trying to hold out so i dont rush into a facelift model with high miles lol. Need to be patient and save !!!

Back