• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Old versus New

What you really have to ask yourself is, "Am I going to notice any difference in the real world and not on a track"..........

My answer:

I dont drive like a p3nis, so 30MPH round a corner is quick enough for me

I lke the new R, think it looks good and goes as well as the older one........ Not trading in mine for one though for a few extra toys........

:O)

I know it sounds like I'm just protecting the older CTR, but it really did look staged. It actualy looked like he was holding back. The new one didn't look as good either - looked a bit camp to me.

Are Honda softening the brand yet again? Reckon so personally.

I wonder who will be the first to stack one on a test drive?:eek:

Thankfully I returned back to the dealers with the FN2 in one piece.:D ;)

As the thread is called "Old vs New" I thought these piccys would be relevant.:cool:

Attachments

• DSC03167.JPG
    DSC03167.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03168.JPG
    DSC03168.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC03170.JPG
    DSC03170.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC03171.JPG
    DSC03171.JPG
    344.7 KB · Views: 29
I see that has the optional £900 odd extra bumpers on it.

Front looks better on the FN2, back looks better on the EP3.

I think a clean piccy would have worked better though Scouse :lol:

The FN2 was slower around the top gear test track than the EP3!!
EP3 132.8
FN2 134.3
1.5 seconds is quite alot me thinks!

Old - when i test drove the EP3 back in 2002, the vtec made my hairs on the back of my neck stand on end:D

New - test drove the FN2 in 2007 no such tingles:confused:

Anyone felt the same ?

Old - when i test drove the EP3 back in 2002, the vtec made my hairs on the back of my neck stand on end:D

New - test drove the FN2 in 2007 no such tingles:confused:

Anyone felt the same ?

In my test drive review I mentioned the lack of VTEC punch Bunny. Would have been nice to have it but there you go.:(

I no longer have the vtec punch, which, if we are honest is was more of a gimick than anything else. And the dip befor changeover is hardly ideal. I have had to spend over a grand to get rid of it (k-pro, mapping). And the car is mutch better for it. If you really want the vtec kick, then buy a car with a B series :D

I no longer have the vtec punch, which, if we are honest is was more of a gimick than anything else. And the dip befor changeover is hardly ideal. I have had to spend over a grand to get rid of it (k-pro, mapping). And the car is mutch better for it. If you really want the vtec kick, then buy a car with a B series :D

Are you getting commision from Honda UK on FN2 sales? :p

I went to Honda at lunchtime, needed a new brake light bulb. Anyhow outside they had an FN2 in NHB. Purely from looks my thoughts were as follows:

- The red ones in the pictures look better
- The front end looks good, bar the grill which looks cheap
- The seats look good, wouldn't mind a set of those!
- The back looks pretty dire still
- It sits incredbily high compared to my EP3
- It didn't stand out much at all, it lacked presence
- The brakes look small thanks to 18s

Overall if you weren't a car fan you'd have walked right past it, mixed in with a load of bog standard granny wagons it just didn't have that presence (18s not 19s). Compare that to a Golf Gti or Megane Sport and you realise that they are aggressive looking machines and do stand out in crowd (granted with the GTi it's because of its alloys which I personally think are fantastic). I was also a little disappointed with the way it sat, like the body was spilling over the wheel arches rather than hunched like my current car.

I'll be really interested to see how it drives, if it can provide the same excitement (or should I say, "scare you sh1tless moments") my current car does (similar spec to yours G, GruppeM, Toda mani/exh, K-pro & coilies). :lol:

From looks alone I'd put it some way down the pecking order but Hondas, the EP3 included, are about the drive not the looks so I'll reserve judgement on that bit, as that's what matters most. :D

Never understood that. The change in engine note and the step as the cam changes over is the R's party piece. Why would you want to lose it and substitute it for something all smooth and linear?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never understood that. The change in engine note as the cam steps up is the R's party piece. Why would you want to lose it and substitute it for something all snoothe and linear?

Even with K-Pro you can still feel when the car swaps onto the high cam, as the power surges in. You certainly can feel when it swaps from the low cam to high cam.

Never understood that. The change in engine note and the step as the cam changes over is the R's party piece. Why would you want to lose it and substitute it for something all smooth and linear?

Because I do not want a party piece :), i want as smooth a power delivery as possible. Granted the change over is a little more pronounced than it was when it had the charger. But the map is still a lot smoother than when it was standard.

The power delivery from the KPro'd EP3 is vastly different then that of the FN2.

Never said it was the same. Just that I found comparing both my K-pro'd CTR to the FN2 I found many similarities. Both are smoother. The drivability accross the revrange is increased over the Stock EP. I am aware of course that the FN2's ratios has a lot to do with it. I know there is a large torque deficit between even the EP and the FN (a lot more between mine and the FN) yet despite that, and the extra weight the FN is very competent in all situations. My point is that less emphasis should be made on the kick (well less of a kick and more of a blip) that is found on the EP.

I do still stand by my statement that the fN on the road was just as quick and easy to drive (easier in some ways) than mine. And mine is no slouch thanks to Paul. :D

I realise that not everyone's map will be the same also.

You've also got to remember the kick is a bit of a gimmick really, so don't get too hung up over it.

I can say that cos i've got a proper B series kick lol

You've also got to remember the kick is a bit of a gimmick really, so don't get too hung up over it.

I can say that cos i've got a proper B series kick lol

How is it a gimmick? Change of cam profiles, increase in torque and a jump in BHP? That's all you feel isn't it?

If it's a gimmick, then I want more gimmicks. If I'd wanted smooth I'd have bought a V6 Mundano or something (and I would never - EVER do that:) )

Back